Community
Firearm Review Forum Rifles, shotguns, blackpowder, pistols, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new firearms here.

Hornady SST Slug

Old 09-27-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Hornady SST Slug

Has anybody shot the new 300 gr. Hornady SST slug? How did it shoot?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST Slug

I would have loved to give them a try for this season but can’t find any around here[:@]
Old 09-28-2005, 10:08 AM

I haven't seen them either. Cabela's used to have the regular hornady slugs, but I didn't see either last time I was there. They do have the SST's in the catalog though I think.

I believe JCC has tried them. Do a search in the gun section. I think he mentioned them in my thread about my new Utral Slug Gun. I know he has mentioned them before. I don't know if he checks this section or not though.

Paul
Old 09-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Thanx. I see what I can dig up.

I was able to get ahold of a couple boxes. Just wondering how they stacked up to the Core-lokt Ultra's b/c I planned on shooting them until I heard about the SST slugs. Will have to get to the range soon to let you guys know how they shoot.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Spike

I believe that the Hornady SST is the same as the TC shock Wave.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not shot them asHornadyis apparently having production problems. Until recently Midway was accepting orders as an "on back order item". They have sinceceased accepting any new orders and do not have an expected arrival date.

Yes, they are Hornady 300gr SST bullets, which they allow Thompson to call "shockwaves".

There has been some concern that these bullets will not stabilize well in rifled shotguns with 1-34 to 1-36 twist rates. When I last spoke to Del Ramsey, (owner of MMP sabots), he suggests that the bullets would likely perform reasonably well out to 75-100yds then possibly destabilze as the bullet loses velocity. I have not been able to confirm this myself . I have however spoken with one gentlemen who reported good performance at 100yds with the Savage 210 (1-35 twist). He does not have access to a longer range and therefore can not make any accuracy claims past that distance.

Here is a copy of a post I had writtena number of months ago for another poster who wanted more insite on their balistics...

A few months ago when the Hornady SST's were first being advertised, many slug shooters were falsely led to believe that this bullet/sabot combination was some new ballistics breakthrough.

In order to determine the truth for myself, I decide to compare the factory published ballistics numbers against those of the Remington Core Lokts. ( The Core Lokts have in my opinion, some of the best ballistics of all rifled slugs on the market and are my first choice when shooting my Savage 210.)

[blockquote]

Quote:

[hr]

The Hornady SST's are an off shoot of the development of the Hornady H2K. The H2K contained a 250gr xtp bullet. These new Sabots contain 300gr SST's bullets instead. (My experience with the H2K was disappointing, although they were in the top of class in terms of trajectory they were very erradic as far as accuracy, often throwing random flyers).

TRAJECTORY...
The SST's do not shoot any flatter than the current top performing Sabots on the market. The advertising for the trajectory is somewhat misleading. They quote their trajectories from (-.09in) at the barrel. Even with that extra inch they are dead on at 150 and -6.7in at 200 yds. To you and me in the real world that means -7.6in low at 200 yds.

TRAJECTORY COMPARISON...
The flatest consistent competitor to the Hornady SST would be the Remmington Core Lokt Ultra's. They are once again somewhat misleading in their advertisement of trajectory. They qoute their trajectory from -1.5in at the barrel. These sabots are dead on at 150, and -6.2in at 200 yds. To you andI that would be -7.7in low at 200 yds.

This means that the current Core Lokt's already offer nearly identical trajectory to the new SST's.

VELOCITY AND ENERGY COMPARISON....
Although these two competitors have nearly identical trajectories one must keep in mind they shoot very different projectiles. The SST's are 300 gr bullets, while the Core Lokt's are launching a 385 gr bullet. That means only one thing is possible. The SST's are slower, and do not carry the energy that the Core Lokt's do.

The actualnumbers for the SST's at 200yds are velocity 1341 fps, and energy 1198 ft-lbs.
The Core Lokt's numbers at 200yds are velocity 1426 fps, and energy 1741ft-lbs.

Although both still have plenty of knock down power at 200yds for deer sized game, the Core Lokt's with an additional 500ft-lbs of power at 200yds, would be welcome comfort if one were to make a poorly placed shot.

COST
They will be between 11-15$....in line with most current high performance Sabots.

CONCLUSION....
Is the SST an new ballistic breakthrough in Sabot technology? NO.... Does any of this tell us anything about the accuracy of the SST's or the Core Lokt's out of any particular gun?.. Absolutely not.
[/blockquote]

Old 09-28-2005, 06:06 PM

I know people that have shot the same bullet out of a muzzle loader with a simular twist and they worked pretty good. I wouldn't rule them out until you try them.

Paul
Old 09-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Paul...

I shoot them out of my muzzleloader as well.....

No real comparison though, completely different sabots, ( I use Dels MMP's in my muzzleloader), and more importantly completely different rate of twist inmy barrel.

My muzzleloader has a 1-24 twist barrel (whichis specifically designed around a 300gr .452 cal bullet.) My shotgun has a 1-35 twist barrel that was designed to shoot an almost full bore 12ga diameter projectile, with average weights exceeding 400-500gr.

Could the bullet shoot well in my shotgun...sure. I just wanted to point out that the odds don't favor it.

I am the first person to admit that I don't understand the laws concerning twist rates as well as I should ( ie the Greenhill twist formula). That is specifically why I asked Del for his thoughts on this subject. As a trueleader in the sabot/bullet industry I think his opinion is at least worth being aware of.

(remembera large majority of all 300gr SST's ever shot have come out of a barrel with an MMP sabot. (MMP=magnum muzzleloader products))

Old 09-29-2005, 11:27 AM

No, I know guys that use them in a 1 and 35 twist muzzle loader. I don't think the actual sabot makes that much of a difference. It's just a jacket that breaks away, the spin will be the same. However the velocity will be higher out of a shotgun most likely which would make a difference.

The problem with muzzle loaders is the barrel diameters are not consistant. Just because you have a .50 cal rifle does not mean they all have the same inside diameter. So you sometimes have to experiment with different sabot thicknesses to see what your particular rifle likes. My buddy has a night wolverine and it does not like remingtons sabots at all. They are too big for his barrel. However they fit pretty nice in my remington 700. So I would guess my barrel is slightly larger than his is.

My ML prefers the Precision Rifle QT bullets actually. Now that is something I would like to see in a shotgun slug offering. Maybe a 400-450 grn QT bullet.

The only way to know is try. Some like the barnes expanders by federal out their shotguns. Mine hates them. Won't even shoot 2 foot groups consistantly at 100 yards.

Paul
Old 09-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

I don't think the actual sabot makes that much of a difference. It's just a jacket that breaks away, the spin will be the same.

However the velocity will be higher out of a shotgun most likely which would make a difference.

Paul
Pt. 1....The specific sabot used unquestionably makes a huge difference. If it didn't you wouldn't have gone on to explain that you need to try different sabots in different guns.

Depending on the degree of friction between the sabot and the bullet the actual spin achieved will vary. The degree of relevance to this discussion however is questionable.

Pt. 2.....Not true....most of my friends who have chronographed thier muzzleloaderloads w/ 300gr SST's are shooting in excess of 2100fps. The Hornady shotgun load is only achieving 2000fps at the muzzle.

In the end, as you said Paul...the only real "way to know is to try them"

Quick Reply: Hornady SST Slug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.