Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Sighting in a 3 pin sight >

Sighting in a 3 pin sight

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Sighting in a 3 pin sight

Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 PM

Default RE: Sighting in a 3 pin sight

I dropped down to a three pin sight after hearing what bgfisher said{I had five}. The new sight required me to set my middle pin first by adjusting the whole scope, then set the other two with micro adjust. I set them at 20-30-40. I found that I am really accurate out to 45 yards, and my field of vision is a lot less obstructed, thank you BGFisher.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your Welcome, Peebles
Old 03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: duckman1

if you had a traget at 5 yrd dont you use your 40 yrd pin ? this has happened to me at a 3d shoot

No, not five yards. Five feet or so. Actually I was checking mine last year (the bow is shooting 282fps) and I used my 25 yard pin to hit dead on at 5 yards. Really what I what I sis was set the sight for 25 yards and then shoot all the other yardages in five yard increments out to 30 yards to see where my POI was at each of those yardages.
So set at 25 yards I was dead on at 5 yards, 10 and 15 was about 1" or less high, 1 1/2" high at 20 yards and about 2" low at 30 yards. I should have put it in my log what the speeds were, too. I had set my chrono in front of each target to see what speeds were at the respective yardages. Brain Fart.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Bulzeye

I'm all for using less pins for hunting especially with the faster bows.
My setup only shoots about 220 fps so I have some drop, but the difference in point of impact between my 20 yd pin and any point out to 20 yards is less than 3", assuming I'm not shiverring too bad when I let go of the string.

I like to have a second pin on my hunting sight though.
I can set it one of 2 ways.
I either set it to be dead-on at my max shooting distance, say 35 or 40 yards, so I can prorate the distance between the pins and get a more exact aiming point on an animal that is between 20 yards and my max range.
The other way I like to use it is to set the pin so that the vertical distance between the pins is equal to the vertical distance between a deer's chest adn back when he's at my max range. That way, if he looks too small in the sight, I know he's too far away.

I have mine set as BG recommended but I've never given a thought to using a pin setup for a yardage marker. That's worth a look.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using pins set as a range finder? Decent idea. I got a problem though. I have a Real Deal on my bow and the speed is such that I only have about 1/4" between my 20 and 40 yard pins. And ther is a 30 yarder stuffed in between. Now what? Guess I'll just have to shoot a single pin.

By the way, I've set a pin on this bow for 25 yards and the spread from 20 yards to 30 yards is just about 2 1/4". Of course this is a 3D rig.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:51 PM

Brain Fart.
No disrespect to you at all Mr. Fisher but its Brain Farct, not brain fart. I know they both sound alike but its short for brain infarct. I know thats spliting frog hairs, but I just wanted to let you know, again no disrespect meant.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well BG,
It sounds like you're shooting flat enough to not have to worry about estimating yardage too much, at least for hunting in the woods.

If you want to try the yardage marker thing, just shoot a slower bow, like mine. In fact, how about a trade. hmmm?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bulzeye,

Been there and done that with the slower bows. I guess I shouldn't say slow. Just not as fast. My other OLD bow of two years ago was shooting right at 260fps which is decent for 27" draw and 60#. Now I have my SlayR and it shoots the same arrow a tad over 280fps at 53#, so you can see there is no going back. And even when I was shooting the SLOW BOW I shot a single pin and held the middle of the chest on anything within 30 yards. It just isn't rocket science. For hunting I try to keep things simple.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

For hunting I try to keep things simple.
AMEN.
Just figured since I had a decent arc, I might as well use it.