Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 HOYT IMPULSE SUPER SLAM >

HOYT IMPULSE SUPER SLAM

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

HOYT IMPULSE SUPER SLAM

Old 01-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Default HOYT IMPULSE SUPER SLAM

would like any info on this bow any body can give me .
this is what the add says .
This bow has wheels, so it is super smooth to draw and amazingly forgiving! This all camo bow includes a Huntermaster 2000 arrow rest and a single Fiber Optic Pin Cobra Bow Sight. It also includes a brand new string, a peep sight, catwhiskers, nocking point, and kisser. Plus, I am trowing in 5 never used Black Hawk Vapor V4000 carbon arrows! Perfect hunting bow with an extremely forgiving 40" axle to axle and 9.5" brace height
Old 01-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HOYT IMPULSE SUPER SLAM

Not sure about the Impulse, but I had a Superslam Supreme. I personally did not care for the fat, cramped grip on the bow. These bows are pretty quiet for '90s bows, but they weren't any too fast even then. Should be forgiving, again if the grip suits you. I did some pretty good shooting with mine at times, but with the old original fast flight strings, it constantly needed to be tweaked. On a whim, I got a cheap Darton Excel, and it shot so well, the Hoyt collected dust until I sold it. The Hoyt was definitely the quieter of the 2 bows though. Wish we had Limb Savers back then.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree about those things needing constant tweaking with that nasty, creepy first generation fastflight. They're no worse than any other bow with today's string materials.

If it has round E-wheels, it will be plenty quiet but no great shakes for arrow speed. If it's got control cams, it'll be a good bit quicker but also a good bit louder.

If you don't like the grip (it's actually MY all time favorite) then you can remove the grip and wrap the handle area with leather or tennis racket wrap to get a thin, low wrist grip.

Don't know how much the guy's asking for it, but I wouldn't give much over $75 for an old Super Slam in great condition, even with the accessories. They're great old bows... The key word there being "old." In a world where a 5 year old compound is practically obsolete, you're talking about a bow that's around 10 years old or more. And it's obviously been shot with light carbon arrows, which I consider a red flag for magnesium risered bows from that time frame. That riser had a reputation for developing cracks and breaking, which I think is mostly due to people shooting overly light arrows with them.

Caveat emptor.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can still remember seeing one of the early Buckmasters competitions where Scott Shultz (now the president of Robinson Labs) and Darrin Collins were both shooting the new Superslams. Couldn't believe how quiet those things were for that time. That was when Hoyt was trying to dethrone High Country as the top banana in 3D shooting. Tells ya how long ago the bows came out as well.