Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bear Whitetail II >

Bear Whitetail II

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bear Whitetail II

Old 01-02-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Bear Whitetail II

Hi all,

While I'm not new to huntingnet.com I have mostly been a lurker. Being relatively new to hunting (5 years) seems that I have more to learn than to share. All my past hunting experience has been with firearms. One time I mentioned offhand to my younger brother that I might like to try bowhunting one day. Well this year he turned around and bought me a bow for Christmas. It is a Bear Whitetail II. It appears to me to be in decent shape, just some scratches that would come from normal use. It came with an arrow rest, pin-n-peep sight, arm guard and mechanical release. All I'm really missing is arrows and a quiver.

I got on the internet looking up information about arrows and found out that you have to know your draw weight and length in order to select arrows. I also read that bows come with a sticker (usually on the bottom limb?) with this information. This sticker is not on my bow.

I did a search on this forum and noticed that some of you have owned this make of bow (some still use it). I was wondering if I could bother you with some questions.

There are two plastic discs (not the cams) with slots labelled a thru e, the shallowest being a the deepest being e. Are these discs used to adjust the draw weight? If so is a (shallowest) the heaviest setting and e (deepest) the lightest setting or is it the other way around? What are the increments of adjustment? 5 pounds maybe? Right now my bow is set in the e slot. I used some barbell weights to estimate the draw weight. 50 pounds would not bring the bow to full draw but 52.5 will so I guess the draw weight would be 50 pounds(?). Would a Bear Whitetail II with adjustments of 50 to 70 pounds sound about right or am I way off? My long term goal is to hunt caribou and maybe even moose with this one day so I'd like to set it to the heaviest draw I can comfortably manage. The current draw weight is a breeze.

Escalade Sports now owns Bear archery and I sent in a request for information about this bow (asked for a user manual if there is one available) but this bow was out of production long before Escalade came into the picture so I'm not optimistic.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 01-02-2005, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Bear Whitetail II

The Whitetail II has killed it's fair share of deer thats for sure! The slots you are talking about are to adjust your draw length. I am trying to remember the exact specson this bow, I can't remember if it had moduales for draw length but by your description I am guessing it does not. The limbs should have 2 allen wrench head bolts where the limbs attach to the riser. This is how you adjust the dra weight.

The best advise I can give you is to go to a good archery pro shop & let them help you get the bow adjusted for you and to help you pick out the right arrows. It also wouldn't hurt to have them look the bow over good to make sure the cables are not damaged & to make sure the string is in good shape too.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:46 PM

Default RE: Bear Whitetail II

Orions_Bow thanks for the info.

I live in rural Newfoundland and bowhunting isn't very popular here yet. I don't have access to an archery proshop locally and I am still trying to find out if there are any sport shops on the island that do work on bows. If I find anything within sensible driving distance I'll definately bring the bow there and get it checked out.

Thanks again.