Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Mathews MQ1 reviews wanted! >

Mathews MQ1 reviews wanted!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews MQ1 reviews wanted!

Old 10-02-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Mathews MQ1 reviews wanted!

I just purchased a used MQ1 and while I am waiting for it to arrive I would like to hear what other owners or people who have shot this bow think about it's performance. I would like to hear both the pros and cons you guys have found and any equipment or modifications you have made to correct it. Thanks for any input. SS
Old 10-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mathews MQ1 reviews wanted!

I'm sure you will like the shooting characteristics of the MQ 1. It is a very quiet and recoil/vibration free bow. Very pleasant to shoot. I probably never should have gotten rid of mine, but I did have issues with left/right misses. I think it was mostly due to the large grip not really being suited for my hand, or my inconsistent hand placement. The bow shot pretty well for me most of the time, but I felt I really had to have my form down to shoot well. Any small form break would result in a significant miss. I had to use a stabilizer that was really too long and too heavy for proper balance to tame the left/right issues. The days I shot the MQ1 along with my old Darton Viper, and shot more consistently with the Viper, convinced me to sell off the Mathews, although I have thought about getting another one to try. Lots of Mathews fans consider the MQ1 to be a forgiving bow, so my opinion is not the only one, and if you have very consistent shooting form, you may not have the problem I had with mine.
Old 10-03-2004, 02:23 PM

i have had the mq1 for about 3 years now. at first i had terrible cable wear replacing 4 in one year time. after sending it to mathews twice and finally they replaced the lower limb and i put on a wc string and cable, my confidence is improving again with the bow. since then i have had no problems. i have had many people comment on how quiet the bow is. i have heard many people as like joe pa say they wish they would of never gotten rid of their mq1. i get about 274fps out of it. the bow not what i would consider very forgiving. over all, i am very happy with it. i have considered buying a newer bow but i dont see much of an upgrade in the newer bows for the money. again with more than on person saying they wish they had kept their mq1, when they have upgraded keeps me from replacing it also. best of luck...............mitch
Old 10-04-2004, 09:19 AM

Many people consider it the best bow Mathews has ever made (myself included). It shot well for most and was a good combination of speed, quietness, and smoothness. I think you will like that bow a lot.

JMAC
Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike

Got the mq1 new November of 98 still hunt with it today man. 60 pound limbs 28 inch draw, 3 pins and shoot out to 50 yards. Couldn't tell you how fast it shoots, never checked it but I've killed a lot of deer with it (a lot of deer).