Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows. >

Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows.

Old 03-31-2004, 11:00 AM

Default Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows.

Aluminums are straighter, but not as durable as carbon. Carbons are more durable, but not as straight as aluminum. These are basic statements about the arrow choices in general.
You wouldn't believe the disillusion about the carbon arrow craze. Carbons are getting better, but they've still got a long way to go. The bottom line is that the better carbons are going to cost you more money. I've seen cases of 0% yield when customers bought the 'cheap' carbons. In other words, 100% of them weren't straight.

The first step in checking carbon arrows is to use a spin tool. If you want to see what I'm talking about, grab a standard dozen aluminum raw shafts and a standard dozen carbon raw shafts and spin them. The last Hunters Safety Course class we had was totally amazed at the difference. Straight shafts is the beginning of effective tuning and positive results.

As in most things, you get what you pay for. The straighter a carbon the more it costs to manufacture. but will outlast an aluminum generally.

I've heard people say, "I have my bow paper tuned for these shafts, so I don't think tuning is the issue, so I think I will just try a few different brands and types, to see what works best for my set-up."

Having a bow 'paper tuned' for one shaft doesn't necessarily mean that "different brands and types" will work any worse or better. It is best to tune to a particular shaft and, when changing shafts, re-tune to that particular shaft.

And, don't forget to tune each year, at the least, with carbon shafts. They blow out just as quickly, and sometimes more often, as aluminums. Arrows are 1/3 of the system; therefore, more care should be given to them than most realize.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows.

Here Here...

Great Post, Len
Old 03-31-2004, 11:28 AM

I agree Len. The thing I'm most concerned with as far as carbon arrows is the nock end splitting due to hits from group shooting or from another's arrow. I broke a Gold Tip arrow once while shooting it from a 15 pound kid's bow at a novelity shoot. Shooting with two fingers under the arrow's nock, it fell off the string at the shot apparently and the string hit the side of the shaft, breaking it badly with splinters everywhere. That was enough for me to rethink my future carbon purchases. I have some more carbon arrows on order, but will be inspecting them after every shot from my powerful bows.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Len,

Since you brought up arrows...and specifically ICS carbons....I would be interested to hear how you think the new Axis ST compare to some of the original ICS style shafts like the Goldtips, Carbon Express and Beman ICSH. Have you had a chance to do a comparison? Are the Axis any better in straightness, spine or weight? I keep hearing that they are but would like to hear your experiences with them.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is why I shoot ACCs....however.....I wonder how well the spine stands up when compared to both aluminum and carbon?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:03 PM

Arrows are 1/3 of the system; therefore, more care should be given to them than most realize.
Good post Len. I've always thought arrows were by far the most important aspect of set-up. Next in order, I place the quality of the string being used. In my opinion, the bow brings up the rear, and is only important in that it fits you and is the length and brace height that you prefer. Just curious, what are the other two thirds of the system, in your view, and are they equal thirds?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Len,

Since you brought up arrows...and specifically ICS carbons....I would be interested to hear how you think the new Axis ST compare to some of the original ICS style shafts like the Goldtips, Carbon Express and Beman ICSH. Have you had a chance to do a comparison? Are the Axis any better in straightness, spine or weight? I keep hearing that they are but would like to hear your experiences with them.

Thank you.
Here is straitness on some popular arrows:
St Axis +/- .005"
XX78 Super Slam +/- .0015"
ACC +\- .003"
XX&% Camo Hunter +\- .002"

Couldn't readily find beman ics
Old 03-31-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Techy, there's often a big difference in advertised spec and actual as purchased and measured spec... Although I suspect the arrows you listed are spot on...

I see ACCs as the best of both worlds, excellent spec tolerance of aluminum and carbon durability (up to a point).

My groups shrunk considerably simply going from GT5575s to 3/49 ACCs. I won't worry about spine degradation until my groups start to open up again...
Old 03-31-2004, 02:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Techy

[XX&% Camo Hunter +\- .002"
I held SHIFT too long

That is XX75 Camo Hunter
Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 PM

Keep in mind we are dealing with 1\1000 of an inch here. There isn't too much difference, but it is there.

I see guys with carbons out shoot guys with aluminums all the time, and visa versa. You can't blame too much on a possible 3.5\1000" difference in straitness.

I also like to keep in mind that canbons bouce back so to speak. If you step on a alumininum it is most likely bent or broke. A carbon is eaither broke or still strait, most likely still strait. I have stepped on carbons I have seen them shot and bounce off trees, floors, and walls and live to be shot countless more times (I have worked at a sport shop for 4 years). I can't say this for aluminums. Everything is a compromise[8D]

I'll stick with my carbons

Quick Reply: Check, re-check, re-tune your arrows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.