Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtec and Mathews... >

Bowtec and Mathews...

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtec and Mathews...

Old 03-21-2004, 08:53 PM

Default Bowtec and Mathews...

Has anyone ever tried out either the Bowtec BlackHawk or the Mathews Classic, and if so, what can you tell me about them? I'm especially interested in the smoothness of drawing them. Thanks,

-Spike Buck
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowtec and Mathews...

Both bows are going to have a relatively stiff draw cycle in comparison to some of the more recent single cam designs on the market. The one forgiving grace, at least in terms of the Blackhawk, is the larger than average brace height. With this the difficulty of drawing a stiffer cam is somewhat negated because of the shorter powerstroke.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 AM

The Cam in those classics isn't all that friendly, but I've shot those cams for years, and am very used to them. The Classic in it's many previous examples in the Mathews line used to be their premier tournament bow in the form of the Ultralight. It can really shoot, and they are small and light. You set them up to compete with some stabs for better inertia than with the para limb design, and then you hunt them in a lighter package. I'm glad to see they are sticking to the design.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Had my eye on the Classic......I figured the valley would me more to my taste than on the new HPcams.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Coug,

If you're interested in the Classic, I would suggest you buy a Feathermax or FX... Same bow without the harmonic dampeners and literally hundreds of dollars less.