HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Technical (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical-20/)
-   -   Carbon Express Arrows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/51661-carbon-express-arrows.html)

Jeepnut 02-02-2004 08:35 AM

Carbon Express Arrows

Does anyone have any experience with the Carbon Express 3D selects? I'm looking strictly for a 3D arrow as I'll likely be shooting something a little heavier for hunting in the fall.

The 3D selects are 8gpi, +/- 1 grain and +/- .001" at around $82/doz bare shafts.

The CXL selects are also 8gpi, and +/- 1 grain, but have a straightness of +/- .003" and cost around $98/doz bare shafts.

I'm just curious what the difference is in these two shafts. It seems that the 3D selects have the tighter tolerences but yet they cost $16 less per doz. Just doesn't make sense. The weight is the same, so maybe the 3D select is a fatter shaft which would give it a thinner wall making it a little less durable?

OD on the CXL select is around 23/64. I couldn't find any info on the OD of the 3D selects & CE has yet to return my email.

I'm considering a few other brands as well but would like some more info on these before I make any decisions.
Thanks!

robinhood11x 02-02-2004 09:15 AM

RE: Carbon Express Arrows

If i'm not mistaken i asked about the cxl saturday night at my indoor league.These arrows where accaully srap arrows that did not meet there specs and are sold as cxl rather than SELECT arrows .I shoot the 250 cxl great arrow.And now they have been perfected . so as long as there are not any more scrap you should not find Carbon Express distributing them any more.Just Select arrows.

Orions_Bow 02-03-2004 01:38 PM

Here is the info on the shaft you mentioned.

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/a...l_select.shtml

That will give you all the specs, etc. Good luck!

nubo 02-03-2004 02:31 PM

I've been considering Carbon Express for hunting but I'm not sure which to use .

nubo

KBacon 02-03-2004 02:40 PM

The CXL have a straightness of .006 and the CXL selects have a straightness of .003.. I believe that's the only difference. I think that's what they meant by "the cxl are the scrap and the selects are the good ones".

The 3D selects are the best of the CX series and are thinner diameter.

Jeepnut 02-03-2004 02:57 PM

Thanks guys. I was finally starting to piece this all together. Sometimes it takes me a while.

So you have the CX and then the CX 3D select in one "series" and the you have the CXL and the CXL select in another series. I guess the "3D" in there must have thrown me. I still wish they would list their shaft diameters on the web site.

Nubo,
I've been considering the Terminator Selects for a hunting arrow next fall. Their a little heavier (which I prefer in a hunting arrow), they have some pretty good tolerance specs, and best of all they're pretty cheap compared to most carbons.

But I'll probably change my mind at least a dozen times before next fall. Heck, it's taken me almost 2 months to try to settle on an arrow for 3D. Maybe I'll just give up & buy some xx78's. Then I could leave the soap/lube & arrow puller at home & have less to carry!

KBacon 02-03-2004 03:31 PM

I just got some CXL 250 selects to shoot for 3d.. the arrows weight right at 326gr. I was previously shooting some OLD Gold Tip 5575s that were given to me.. and these CXLs shoot much more consistant. I've been told that the older Gold Tips could vary in weight/spine greatly. So far I'm very happy w/ them. I think I'm gonna use the Easton Axis for hunting though.. Did the Bowhunt American Mag 4yr subscription where you get a free dozen.

rochelle 02-11-2004 09:06 AM

I hunted with the terminator buff tuff arrows and man do those arrows hit hard!An awsome hunting arrow.

ijimmy 02-11-2004 09:56 AM

I used terminators last year with good sucess , but , will be switching this year due to the fact that most of them "lost" their spine after a couple hundred shots .

nubo 02-11-2004 11:26 AM

I bought a 1/2 dz of the terminator hunter 6075's but they were too heavy but I'm going to set them up for moose this fall ,I'll be shooting them from a BowTech Dually 60# 29in draw .

nubo