Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Is short ATA and short brace height possible? >

Is short ATA and short brace height possible?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is short ATA and short brace height possible?

Old 12-30-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Is short ATA and short brace height possible?

I'm trying to understand(because I don't) why someone hasn't made a bow like this. Something similar to the BK2 but with and ATA of 32" or less. Is this doable? With all of the "speed freaks" out there it seems someone would have done this? What would be the disadvantages other than forgiveness. I ask because I have a 27" draw length but definitely don't want a bow that is 36-40" ATA. The low brace height(as I understand it) doesn't have as much effect on me as with someone with 30" draw length. Any input? I'm looking for a new '04 bow. Right now it looks like the VFT Mighty Mite might be as close to what I want as I can get. I'm shooting the TomKat right now but looking for something to give me more KE w/o loosing speed.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is short ATA and short brace height possible?

Don't see why not. Take a Black Knight, cut 4 inches out of the riser, and there you go. They would have to make sure that the sight window isn't messed with too much, but I'm confident it could be easily done.

Brace height is mainly dictated by limb length and angle of the limb pockets, so as long as you don't mess with them, you'll retain your brace and power stroke. I don't believe ATA length has a direct impact on fps, so you should retain the fps as well.

Email Kevin. He's probably plotting and planning for '05 as we type...
Old 12-30-2003, 10:46 AM

As Rangeball knows from our discussions in another forum, I am looking for a similar set up. I too have a 27' draw, and am looking to replace an Ultra-max with the low let-off maxcam. I have never had trouble with a short brace. The Merlin shorter bows are simply beautiful, but it appears they have moved to a more forgiving brace for those bows. For next season, I am toying with either a new bow, or a change to the high let off maxcam. I would like to move to one of the long handle/short limb bows, but at this point, I am not sure how I will be able to decide.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:25 PM

Bowtech's Tec 29 of the last few years is only 29 1/2 ATA and has a 6 1/2 inch brace. It's a good and solid bow with really good speed.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Tech29 and really like it. I don't know why Bowtech dropped this model. My DL is only 25".