Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Which short new bow should I buy? >

Which short new bow should I buy?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which short new bow should I buy?

Old 12-13-2003, 07:36 PM

Default Which short new bow should I buy?

I need some help and feedback regarding my future purchase of a new bow. I currently shoot a Browning Midas Hunter that I like very well. It shoots 260 FPS with a 5" overdraw. However, it is 43" long and I have a desire to get a shorter, more hi-tech bow.

From what I've researched so far, I prefer the Pearson Predator which is 34" and 85 % let-off. I really like the 20 degree offset handle on the riser.

I have looked at a lot of different brands and I also like the new Hoyt bows, Matthews bows, and High Country carbon riser bows.

What feedback can I get about the Pearson Predator and Diamondback models as well as the Matthews bows that are advertised to win more tournaments than any other brand?

Thanks !
Old 12-13-2003, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which short new bow should I buy?

High letoff short singel cam bows are very dificult to be consistant with especialy with split limbs . I would sugest you look at a , merlin quest 35 with omega cams or rapid cams , a bowtech patriot , darton avalanche , or one of martins new bows . Im sure there are plenty other models Ive missed , but for a short bow , I'll bet one of these models fits you .
Old 12-14-2003, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

You should buy the one that fits you best and shoots best for you

I'm w/ Ijimmy though. You should probably reel yourself in a bit and grab a more moderate length bow in the 34-36" range. Some 30-32" bows can be very difficult to be consistent with..some are better than others, but some are just plain awful.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have extensive experience with the Pearson bows. If you're looking for a good hunting bow you can't go wrong with either of them. These are some of the quietest bows you can find. Easy, smooth draw and 85% letoff standard. You can change the letoff to 65% or 75% by just changing a module. Nearly vibration free.

Another reason to shoot a Pearson is that you won't have to take any BS from people who worry about whether you are shooting a Mathews or Hoyt. And you won't have the price tag either because you won't be paying for all the advertising.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should really dedicate yourself to shooting a bunch of bows. If you have a 43" bow with 5" overdraw you'll be amazed at how nice new bows from 33" to 36" will shoot. They'll also be alot faster without that dang overdraw! Try some from each manufacturer. BowTech Patriot or Extreme VFT, Mathews Legacy or LX, new Hoyt cam and a half, Pearson, Parker, Hi-Country and on and on. I would also suggest shooting a few shorties(31" to 33") Thay have their good points also! Try a Mathews SQ2, '04 BowTech Mighty Mite VFT and a Parker UL31. These bows are fast and light!

Once you've shot a bunch your decision will be very easy!

Good Luck!
Old 12-15-2003, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

High letoff short singel cam bows are very dificult to be consistant with especialy with split limbs .
I tend to disagree with this statement from a general standpoint. I have owned over a dozen "under 34 inch" axle to axle length bows to date and a majority of them were more than capable of allowing very good accuracy for the average shooter out to about 40 yards. In fact, the 2003 Razortec, 2002 Havoctec, the 2004 Vipertec, the Fred Bear TRX 32 and one or two others were in my "top favorites" overall for hunting bows. Ofcourse, that is my personal take on it and do agree to a certain extent in that I would not hand a beginner a 32 inch, 7 inch brace height bow and expect him to shoot it as accurately as a 38 inch, 7.5 inch brace height bow. That would just be common sense.

To play it safe I would go with what they suggested in staying with a bow of at least 34 inches from axle to axle. Cam and limb style in this case are irrelevant in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2003, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

I'd have to recommend the Parker UL 31. I bought this bow last year and am extremely impressed with it. For only being 31" axle-to-axle, it's surprising how accurate the bow is. I would buy another one in a heart beat.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:00 PM

I've got to give thumbs up for the Parker UL31 also. I ve shot mine for two years. It's quiet, lite and shoots real nice. Good luck
Old 12-15-2003, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've come to like the bows in the 33-35" range for hunting. But after shooting the new Mighty Mite VFT, I may have to get one. I shot it side by side with the new Patriot single cam and about fell down. Both bows shot great for me but, something about the Mighty Mite left a big (maybe huge) impression on me. And 7 3/4" brace height is hard to pass up.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Quit if Phil...I haven't gotten my MM VFT yet!![:@]

Quick Reply: Which short new bow should I buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.