Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tune???

Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Spike

Default Paper tune???

What does it mean to paper tune your bow I'm a first time bow hunter?
Old 08-21-2017, 01:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

It means you get it to hit the bulls eye or whatever the kill spot is on your target.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Paper tuning is shooting through a sheet of paper and adjusting your bow(usually your rest) so you get a perfect hole rather than a tear because the tail end of your arrow is kicking one way or another.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jose - what Rockport said. However I quit paper tuning a long time ago. I set up my bows with everything square then I tune from there with both field tips and broadheads. Some of the best advice is in this forum on the stickys above. A very good one is "Don't stop at walkback".
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Jose - what Rockport said. However I quit paper tuning a long time ago. I set up my bows with everything square then I tune from there with both field tips and broadheads. Some of the best advice is in this forum on the stickys above. A very good one is "Don't stop at walkback".
Yeah I don't paper tune anymore either.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still paper tune - bare shaft, however, then confirm everything else as I add more and more to the shaft.

In fairness, it's been many years since I felt any of it was necessary, and frankly, I've nearly convinced myself to shoot bare shafts with broadheads for hunting, since under 40yrds, I just don't need steerage.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I still paper tune - bare shaft, however, then confirm everything else as I add more and more to the shaft.

In fairness, it's been many years since I felt any of it was necessary, and frankly, I've nearly convinced myself to shoot bare shafts with broadheads for hunting, since under 40yrds, I just don't need steerage.
lol front wheel drive?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

In a way sort of yes Rockport. I think Nomercy is using very high FOC arrows. That, in theory, will allow for arrows without vanes or feathers to fly reasonably straight. You have to have some very stiff shafts as well to accomplish any semblance of repeatable accuracy. At least that is what my limited knowledge leads me to think.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to run 12-15% FOC, and with my bows, I have to run 250 or 300 spines. Any time I get in new shafts, I do almost everything bareshaft tuning, and when I'm well practiced as I prefer to be when I'm tuning, I'll ruin arrows at 40yrds even bareshaft. I haven't tried it with the Montec's I've been shooting the last couple years, but when I set up my first 2 dozen Velocity Pro's, I tried some of my 125grn Rages instead of field points - they printed small enough on target to easily and handily kill deer. I lean that as an advantage of binary cam bows and fast fall away rests - they leave the bow straight and true, and with a moderate FOC (what I call moderate), they keep flying that way.

I messed around with steerage a bunch in college and a few years after, working with feathers and helicals, tall vanes, long vanes, whatever was out there. Then I started shooting more bareshaft during tuning - I run "no offset" now, which is really 1degree on my jig, and usually just stick on blazer's since they last forever.

That said - I might go back to feathers and dipped & spun crests on my next set of arrows, just for the style, absolutely no other reason than throwing some retro onto my rig.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

The last 3 dozen arrows dad made was for that new Bowtech which all in all the only thing I had to change adjustment on was the peep and kisser button distance apart. My face is just a tiny bit longer than his was. He built those Maxima red SD shafts with 2" blazers 1*off and set them up for 100 grain tricks. I know shooting that dang bow and my old Hoyt raptor is like going from night to day. I'll use the old Hoyt this season since I really didn't practice a lot with that Bowtech but next year them deer better look out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.