Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Dr Ashby EFOC HEAVY Broadheads Grzzlystik Vs Steelforce Vs Tuffhead arrow setup >

Dr Ashby EFOC HEAVY Broadheads Grzzlystik Vs Steelforce Vs Tuffhead arrow setup

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dr Ashby EFOC HEAVY Broadheads Grzzlystik Vs Steelforce Vs Tuffhead arrow setup

Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default Dr Ashby EFOC HEAVY Broadheads Grzzlystik Vs Steelforce Vs Tuffhead arrow setup

I have become quite interested in the Dr Ashby studies on Extreme Forward of Center arrows and Single Bevel Broadheads to split / penetrate large , thick skinned game and pass through heavy bone.

After shopping around I have found a couple of companies offering broadheads in these configurations.

My goal is to build an arrow of 650 grains or greater in weight and get the best value for my money .

Im thinking of mounting Steelforce on Easton FMJ .340 Arrows. Not sure on the vane configuration yet. I will be shooting a 70 LB compound bow.

IM hoping to hear from some other guys here on the forum that can offer some advice on what they are running.

I appreciate it , thanks.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:26 AM
Spike

Id also like to add the eclipse 300 grain to the list of broadheads im considering.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

I think you would be better off trying to get heavier shafts than sitting a 300 grain arrow on a carbon shaft. I shoot wood arrows and shoot in the ground and anything and all I hear from compound shooters is "check your carbons for cracks" and they shoot into bags. I am not sure I would be very comfortable forcing a carbon arrow to flex that much to start a 300 grain arrowhead moving.

I know it will sound kind of contrary to you, but if you made shafts like a traditional guy, I have seen 650 grain arrows made from Ash with 125g tips and its very tough. Increase the weight of that point and you increase the thickness of the shaft and could be over 700 grains easily. Ash is probably the toughest and heaviest arrowwood on the market.

I shoot hand made shoots from hardwood with 125g heads and easily hit 550g arrow eight with a 42# spine for my selfbow. If I shot traditional and could up my spine to 60# for a 55# bow It would probably make 600g easily. Add a 150 - 175 grain arrow and I would probably hit 650

Just food for thought.

Last edited by archeryrob; 08-14-2017 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

Also, you know all about increasing the weight of the arrow and how KE increases and even though it hits like a Mack truck your trajectory is going to fall off on longer shots. I think you might be going too extreme on FOC and might consider shafting alternates to increase the total arrow weight.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

Back again, how about buying an aluminum shaft and filling the arrow with a medium like sand or something lighter. You can use a larger head too if you want a larger FOC. You could probably find some at a shop to buy a individual one to play with.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wow...why would someone want that heavy an arrow? IMO Really not necessary unless you're going after elephant or cape buffalo or similar beast. Even the big bears don't require that much weight. I've taken a couple big bull bison using 63# draw wt., 28" draw and 420 gr arrows and had complete pass through both times. The broadhead I used on both these occasions was a 100 gr Magnus Stinger 4 blade.