Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How to hide human scent while hunt >

How to hide human scent while hunt

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to hide human scent while hunt

Old 11-26-2016, 12:24 PM
Spike

Default How to hide human scent while hunt

a lot of people say it is impossible why some say it is. please i will appreciate your comment of your personal experiences, is it really possible? if so then how can one hide his scent while hunting?
Old 11-26-2016, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Totally erasing scent remains a mystery to me. Still I try my best to keep my clothes scent free. My stuff is stored in plastic bags then put in plastic totes and kept in a shed designated for all things hunting. I don't mess around in there unless it's hunting related.

I still hunt the wind and believe that is more important than scent control.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Completely eliminating human scent is impossible though the manufacturers of scent blocking clothing and sprays and such will do their best to fool you into thinking otherwise. The best way to control scent is to do what D80 suggested. Scent free washes for clothing and body work well in REDUCING scent. NOT eliminating. You have to learn to play the wind. Find the deer trails and direction of usual travel then make sure you are downwind of the deer. Set up multiple stand locations to accomplish this. That way you can get into whatever stand the wind direction dictates. If you can't set up multiple stands and the wind is in the incorrect direction, then don't hunt there. A whitetails nose is it's first and best line of defense. They trust their noses and if they smell something wrong they will go nocturnal at worst, change travel routes at best. As I said in another thread, I've seen deer not even leave a 200 acre home turf after being shot at but if they smelled something off they have a tendency to bug out and go nocturnal. BUT, then again you have your curious younger deer that will investigate rather than bugging out. Those are the ones that get killed. The old smart ones, typically what most consider "trophy" age deer, are the ones that didn't fold to their curious nature and went with what thousands of years of instinct told them.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have to breath , you can minimize your scent some.

I don't know if it is a fact, but I've read people are a bacteria farm, the byproducts of bacterial metabolism are what the Deer smell.

Something else to keep in mind is, many animals see farther into the light spectrum than we do. Brighter and whiter laundry detergent is a no,no. Quote "Unlike humans, deer don’t have an ultraviolet (UV) filter in their lens, making their eyes far more susceptible to the sun’s damaging UV rays. The trade-off is that researchers surmise deer can see UV light — something humans can’t detect." They also see blue well, which is what reflects off of fabric brighteners and some dyes.

I blew many low light hunts before I figured out it was likely I glowed to a Deer or Hogs, especially Hogs or Fox in the moonlight. Camo does you little, to no good at all, if it reflects a lot of UV light. Some of the dyes used in clothing are UV reflectors.

I have a UV light, I was shocked when I shone it on my hunting clothes. One reason I'm now fond of surplus military clothing, they use non UV reflecting dyes. Anybodies guess if that dandy Camo made in China uses UV reflecting dyes or not?

Motion and sound discipline are also important. Most wild animals pick up motion really well. Any unnatural sound is likely to alert them at a minimum and may trigger a flight response.

I use half handful of scent free bar soap, grated on a cheese grater and half handful of Borax in the washing machine. If you want to try a cover scent, put a tablespoon of Vanilla extract in the softener tray.

Point is, it is the total package and no just scent. I try to minimize what I can.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like it was said before. No way to eliminate it entirely. I've gone the route of using a scent free and UV free laundry detergent, sprayed my clothes down, used scent free deodorant, rubber boots, Scent Shield clothing and even chewed Chlorets chewing gum. Yes it reduces your scent dramatically. But an animal that's been around a while may still pick up your scent.
I believe these items help but to be truly successful you should always still hunt with the wind in your face or at least a crosswind and position or only hunt a stand downwind from where you expect your animal to come from. Blowing from the trail to you)
Old 11-27-2016, 04:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by robinhood333
a lot of people say it is impossible why some say it is. please i will appreciate your comment of your personal experiences, is it really possible? if so then how can one hide his scent while hunting?
roll around in pig poop. should cover the human scent nicely.
I once hunted with a guy that did the whole cover scent thing and then was stupid enough to wear aftershave. lol

I don't bother with any of that junk. not saying it won't help. just saying it ain't neccesary.

Last edited by kidoggy; 11-27-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kidoggy
I once hunted with a guy that did the whole cover scent thing and then was stupid enough to wear aftershave. lol

I don't bother with any of that junk. not saying it won't help. just saying it ain't neccesary.
I have not seen the aftershave part, but I have seen them put scented deodorant on just before we went out and took a regular shower the night before with scented shampoo.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Like it was said before. No way to eliminate it entirely. I've gone the route of using a scent free and UV free laundry detergent, sprayed my clothes down, used scent free deodorant, rubber boots, Scent Shield clothing and even chewed Chlorets chewing gum. Yes it reduces your scent dramatically. But an animal that's been around a while may still pick up your scent.
I believe these items help but to be truly successful you should always still hunt with the wind in your face or at least a crosswind and position or only hunt a stand downwind from where you expect your animal to come from. Blowing from the trail to you)
Kind of the way I see it. I never worried too much about scent other than to keep the wind in my face when still hunting.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by d80hunter
Totally erasing scent remains a mystery to me. Still I try my best to keep my clothes scent free. My stuff is stored in plastic bags then put in plastic totes and kept in a shed designated for all things hunting. I don't mess around in there unless it's hunting related.

I still hunt the wind and believe that is more important than scent control.
hunting the wind huh, an oldie told me his brother was an he3qvery smoker and thus never worried about thus scent
Old 11-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kidoggy

did you truly roll and pig poop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.