Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Draw length too long for wife. >

Draw length too long for wife.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw length too long for wife.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw length too long for wife.

Hey guys, I was given a PSE Lightning Flite II (made around 1995-6, I think) from my uncle. It was his first bow, and it is now my first bow.

The plan right now is for me and my wife to practice for next year's bow season, and there's a public outdoor archery range not far away from where my wife and I live in Maryland/DC.
The only problem is, the draw length is so large for her, she cannot possibly look down the peep sight. Can she safely learn how to shoot, instinctively, as though it were a traditional bow?
I don't need anyone to tell me this is in no way ideal and we're better off getting her a new bow---I get it. But we're graduate students right now and frankly for financial reasons a new bow purchase is unlikely before next year's Black Friday season. The main thing I want to make sure of is that there is no risk of injury, and that an anchor point at the jaw is okay for shooting a compound with a release.

Last edited by younggun308; 09-22-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The draw modular length adjustment possible is only in the 1-2" range. Either way, she won't be able to use the sights and keep decent form.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's really more up to her if she can shoot instinctive. Some people just can't get into the swing of it. As far as safety is concerned, it's according to how far back the string is. With her being a new shooter, I really wouldn't recommend it. There are TONS of bows online all the time and one that will fit her draw length can probably be had for pretty cheap. With you and her being tight budgeted, I'm sure you wont find a fancy speed burner affordably but I'm sure you could probably find one for 150-200 range that would be excellent for her to learn on. Cut some expenses like eating out (I know the grad student diets all too well) and you would be shocked how fast you could save up a couple hundred to put her on a bow that fits her.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll keep an eye out online, but also at garage sales and pawn shops that tend toward low prices when we get back to Georgia/Tennessee.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

If she shoots it regularily now she will develop bad habits which are very hard to break later keep her away until she gets a proper bow
Old 09-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hatfield Hunter
If she shoots it regularily now she will develop bad habits which are very hard to break later keep her away until she gets a proper bow
X2 even if one of you have to forego one season of hunting it is not worth the habits you will build shooting in bad form.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

No worries, Tufrthnails, our plan is to wait until next season, anyway.

We've both been practicing drawing the bow in our apartment to build strength. I'm to where I can draw it twice in a row without any problems but want to get to where I can draw it at least three times before going to the range. Started focusing on the level to make sure I can adjust it to correct tilt while holding my point of aim. Not taken it to the range, yet.

She can draw the bow back, but not straight. The draw she has now is better than it was a couple days ago, though. Before then she couldn't get it back at all. For now she's relying on twisting her handle wrist leftward while pulling back to gain a bit of leverage before assuming shooting posture. Her goal is, however, to get to where she can draw it back straight---still building the strength.

When we get back down to TN/GA I'll head to Wal-Mart and get a bunch of their archery gear (arrows, knocks, field tips and broadheads) on clearance, either at Thanksgiving break or around January. I saw turkey stuff for steal prices this summer, and the associate told me it wouldn't be long after the start of gun season before archery goes cheap, too.
Right now all we have are aluminum arrows with long feather fletching. I want to get some carbon arrows with smaller synthetic fletching and some arrow cement and get to work. First, though, we'll get used to what we have.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:30 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you both can't afford new bows you should buy one for your wife. The old bow will still kill deer fine, even if you want a better one. I use primitive bows which are much slower than that compound and they still kill fine.

My daughter has a Hoyt Ignite and its is adjustable in weight and draw length. She started at 40# and has got up to 42# and wants to be 45# when she can. I would suggest you get her a bow similar to this as the one you have fits you, but not her. Then later get yourself another bow.

I shoot instinctive and it takes a lot of practice and I mean a lot!! Its second nature to me now, but a new archer without an experienced archer to help can be very frustrating especially when you are using sites on a compound and driving tacks and she's struggling to even hit the target.

Go to Macrotech in Glen burnie. It might be a bit of a drive but its a great shop. Get some better advice from Len and see what you can afford for her. http://www.macrotecharchery.com/
Old 10-04-2016, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey I really appreciate it, Rob! I see they're open on Sundays until 1pm; we'll probably drive up then since we go to church in Severn, which is only 12 minutes down the road.
So glad to get advice from someone who knows the area we live in!