Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
First time target practice shooting >

First time target practice shooting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First time target practice shooting

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Spike

Question First time target practice shooting

So today was my first time actually shooting my bow, I have a couple of different question and just need some help. I have had my bow set up now to fit me and we think it's set to 35-39 lbs. I haven't had the chance to take my bow to someone to to have it professional fit to me, but my husband an a hunting buddy of his fixed it for me so I can start practicing(any kind of store that could adjust my bow is about an hour away from us so it makes it harder to get it correctly adjusted.) I set up a make shift target(foam cushions, about 6" thick) for the day about 20 yards from where I was shooting. I am shooting to the left. I use my sights but I'm still shooting to the left. Will I get better just practicing or am I doing something wrong? What's the best way to fix shooting to far to one side?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

...Deleted by CalHunter...

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
...Deleted by CalHunter....

X2 there are lots of things you can do on your own, but a bow can be quite dangerous if not properly tuned. Make the drive. I have been bow hunting 15 years and I still have the shop setup a new bow for me.

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Spike

My husband and his buddy have been hunting for 18+ years, if I didn't trust they knew what they were doing I wouldn't let them adjust my bow. I'm only practicing at cushion targets right now, no animals. I won't be hunting animals until I get better anyways. They both know what they are doing and are able to adjust bows, the professional help I would need is adding more weight and just making sure everything is correct. My husband buddy adjusted it and today is the first time it's been shot ever, due to it not being set up for me(draw length was too long) and the lack of strength(I wasn't able to pull it back at 19lbs just last year). I plan to make the drive soon, but for right now it's set up. That was a step we needed to make for me to be able to learn to shoot. I hadn't shot alot today, just a couple shots to see what else needs to be adjusted. I also know if they didn't know what they were doing they wouldn't have attempted to adjust it.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM
Spike

Angry

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Simply because they're both at work and I was wanting to learn by myself. I learn better if I just go out and do it. But I had questions, and no one is available to help me right now so therefore I posted on this forum because I didn't want to bother them at work and because I've used this website for help before and liked the advice I got. Ive never shot a bow and I am learning and practicing, I was looking for tips on how to shoot so I can practice correctly and i want to learn the correct way and practice correctly. I don't want to be shooting the wrong way and learning the wrong way, no one was around to help So I came to this website. So for me the questions I ask are knowledge because I'm just learning how to shoot and want to learn more. So unless your going to be help, please remove yourself from my post. I don't appreciate rudeness.

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Spike

Its not the truth your simply just being rude on my post. I'm learning and wanted to practice today so guess what that's what I did. Sorry you think you'reright. But id appreciate help not rudeness. I'm learning.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Spike

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Warning
Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-26-2016 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Violating rules 2, 8 & 12--Topic w/Firefighter's Wife.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.