Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
First time target practice shooting >

First time target practice shooting

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

First time target practice shooting

Old 08-27-2016, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never had a problem with any of my Scott releases with weather. If it's freezing weather, they don't get frozen up because I keep it in the palm of my hand. Any caliper release would be susceptible to freezing because of the simple mechanics of it. Rain/Snow on the other hand I have never had issue at all with any of my Scotts. Even my ancient Mongoose, which I have pretty much worn out, never had any issues with sticking.
Old 08-27-2016, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
I've never had a problem with any of my Scott releases with weather. If it's freezing weather, they don't get frozen up because I keep it in the palm of my hand. Any caliper release would be susceptible to freezing because of the simple mechanics of it. Rain/Snow on the other hand I have never had issue at all with any of my Scotts. Even my ancient Mongoose, which I have pretty much worn out, never had any issues with sticking.
I didn't have problems in the rain, I had problems about a week after hunting in the rain with rust on the little wheel in there.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh, well even stainless will rust eventually. Especially if worn some. I always blow my releases out really well then put in a drop of Rem oil if I had them out in the wet. Id have to imagine my old Mongoose has well over 100,000 releases on it. But she keeps on a chuckin! I did finally break down and buy a new Mongoose XT when I got the new BowTech. Just really don't want to go through release aid failure when drawing. Had an old Bracklin for a backup release I was using on a 3D shoot because my Scott didn't make it into my bow case for some reason. Don't think I have ever seen my wife laugh so hard. I definitely know why guys fall down when I hit them. I got some hard fists! Dang jaws opened up half draw on one of my gorilla bows. (Gorilla bow means custom 100# or more draw weight) Busted my lip and dang near broke me nose! Blood everywhere and my wife was almost falling to the ground laughing so hard!! Dang wimmin!
Old 08-27-2016, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I neglected it for damn sure. It rained 4 days straight to start the season last year and I was in it every day then put it away and had to catch up everything I missed while I was in the woods and was right back at it as soon as I could get away. It still shoots/opens fine but sometimes the mechanism that closes it sticks and I have to pinch the calipers together while I push the trigger forward.

Anyway I think scott also makes a youth/female version of that type of release as well. I wanna say its call the hero or something like that.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

There's some good advice here. I'll echo that it's important to establish good habits early. Once a bad form is started it's really difficult to break that habit and will be harder to learn the "right way" when you've been used to doing it the "wrong way." There are allot of youtube videos discussing proper form, release, follow through, etc. If you have some time then watch some videos and start practicing. Archery is allot of fun. Enjoy it, be safe, and practice allot.
-Jake
Old 08-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Spike

I have been shooting bow for over 50 years and have set up a lot of bows in that time could you tell us if you are using sights on your bow or are you trying to aim down the arrow
Old 08-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
There's some good advice here. I'll echo that it's important to establish good habits early. Once a bad form is started it's really difficult to break that habit and will be harder to learn the "right way" when you've been used to doing it the "wrong way." There are allot of youtube videos discussing proper form, release, follow through, etc. If you have some time then watch some videos and start practicing. Archery is allot of fun. Enjoy it, be safe, and practice allot.
-Jake
I had refreshed my memory and watched youtube videos that morning before actually shooting. That is a good way to learn for sure.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:32 PM
Little Doe Peep

Wink

Originally Posted by FirefightersWife
I had refreshed my memory and watched youtube videos that morning before actually shooting. That is a good way to learn for sure.
Good to see another girl getting into the sport. Do you plan to hunt or are you mostly in it for target shooting?

We try to shoot six arrows a day if the weather is decent, just to keep in practice.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by adw5
I would suggest looking into a stabilizer, it can really help with your accuracy!

https://www.foundry35.com/blogs/blog...-bow-accessory
That sir is regurgitated horse pucky. They are used for TARGET archery for balance but the average HUNTING bow stabilizer is for vibration control and will add a bit of forward weight. They do very little, if anything, for accuracy. That is a marketing ploy by the manufacturers to sell products. The long stabilizers on target bows, (if you actually knew a thing about what you were talking about and not just reposting stuff from a sales site blog), also have kickers going in reverse to act as a counterbalance.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

It may be a while before adw5 gets back to you as he's on a 30-day timeout for posting links/spam and all of his posts have been removed.

CalHunter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.