Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Lower Cam String rubbing issue >

Lower Cam String rubbing issue

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lower Cam String rubbing issue

Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM
Spike

Default Lower Cam String rubbing issue

Hey Guys, I got a new Bear Attitude, 60 lb model. When in the relaxed state, the string is approx 3/16 clearance from the lower cam. When pulling back, at approx. half way and to full draw, the string rubs on the cam. I sent it to the shop and they changed the lower axle pin but its exactly the same. Now their telling me its normal. I have 3 other Bear bows and they do not touch at all.

I came across a new PSE Stinger X, 70 lb model, and just checked it and its the same. Both new bows when pulling back, at approx. half way and to full draw, the string rubs on the cam. The string does not stop at the center of the draw stop.

My question is, does anyone else have this issue and is it ok?
Old 07-15-2016, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have some cam lean. I've not seen one of them close up in person so I just looked at a few pics online and blew them up as much as I could. Looks like the string/bus has some pretty close tolerances to the cam in the first place and any cam lean whatsoever will cause a rub. If the people at the shop are saying it is normal, I'd switch shops! The speed that cam rotates at would be pretty rough on a string/bus. What may be happening though is that on release, it may not be touching the string. Centrifugal force may keep the cam JUST off it on release. That 3/16 measurement is from the top portion of the cam, if THAT is what is rubbing then you have a MAJOR problem. If it is toward the module part of the cam then that is pretty close as I said. IF indeed it is the upper lobe of the cam touching then more than likely you have a very weak side of your limb causing severe lean. 3/16 movement is a LOT of movement even for a single cam bow which a LOT of them have a bit of lean to.