Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Carbon arrow recommendations for youth. >

Carbon arrow recommendations for youth.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Carbon arrow recommendations for youth.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't you love it? Some people ask for advice and we, as fairly knowledgeable individuals in the sport, require additional information to give them a correct answer. Then they come back with such snobbish comments. If this person was such and "expert" in looking at arrow selection charts then why did he ask our advice in the first place? Geez
Old 10-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why?
Because the charts don't tell you how an arrow performs in the real world with regards to shaft-to-shaft consistency, actual durability, and product manufacturing quality.

Anyone can read a chart and pick a shaft, and every maker will tell you theirs is the best. Forums are where people come to find out people's real experience with the products.

Thank you for your effort and your time.
I'm no longer interested in the opinions if you have not personally used those shafts.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

As I stated previously, I TEACH archery and have for 40+ years. Just got into compounds 25 or 30 years ago and I have taught a fairly good amount of young AND older shooters. The reason I was asking the questions I was asking was for an informed opinion on the BEST matchup for your child. There is really no need for $10-15 buck a piece arrows if she isn't competing on a collegiate or Olympic level. But if she is serious then she will need a matching set of higher quality shafts for consistency in both weight and straightness. But therein lies the little need for information. There are many different performance based shafts and SOME of them perform better than others at DIFFERENT lengths and weights. Hence why I wanted to know her draw length as well as the type of shooting she is falling towards mostly, 3d or target. Also, what is it that is buggering her aluminum's up? At her draw weight she shouldn't be having so much speed, especially with heavy aluminium shafts, that she is damaging them with simple impact of a 3d target. Even the hard McKenzie 3d targets shouldn't hurt them.

Something else that those little charts on the boxes DON'T tell you is the difference between static and dynamic spine. I touched on that slightly with asking if they were going to be mainly for target or if they were going to be for hunting as well. Lighter is flatter but it is also LESS forgiving of ANY form defects in your girls shooting. Multiple spine arrows with lighter spine in front section and stiffer in the rear recover more quickly and are much more forgiving. But they tend to be a little heavier.

Now, after typing all this I can tell you that I have used, or my students have used, MANY different brands, types, weights, lengths, and tip weight arrows as each and every one had their own personal performance expectations as well as abilities and form so matching a proper arrow to their setups require MUCH more info than just 35-45 pound draw weight. For a true competitive archer finding a proper arrow requires MUCH more thought as well as facts than just a couple of minor details. Your initial post led me to believe that your child may be wanting to excel in this sport which makes me a happy camper. The more the merrier. My answers were and still are based in wanting the same for her.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive had great luck with victory vforce arrows. I get them for about $5 per. Ive watched a lot of people have a lot less luck with much more expensive arrows.

I tried some gold tips this year because I could get them local instead of ordering the victorys.......A week later I ordered the victorys.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by rockport
Ive had great luck with victory vforce arrows. I get them for about $5 per. Ive watched a lot of people have a lot less luck with much more expensive arrows.

I tried some gold tips this year because I could get them local instead of ordering the victorys.......A week later I ordered the victorys.
Honestly Rockport I can't imagine shooting any better than I am with my Gold Tips. I'm all for improving myself. But man anything better would be down right scary.
But maybe I will try those Victorys. I'll get 1/2 doz and see how good they are. What model shaft do you use?

Last edited by bronko22000; 10-06-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Honestly Rockport I can't imagine shooting any better than I am with my Gold Tips. I'm all for improving myself. But man anything better would be down right scary.
But maybe I will try those Victorys. I'll get 1/2 doz and see how good they are.
Just preference mostly I reckon. I don't know that they really shot any different. I didn't like the stuff they put on the arrows (fletching,nocks) and I felt like the victory arrows were made better.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Bulzeye, sent ya a PM.