Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
question on spine designation >

question on spine designation

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

question on spine designation

Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default question on spine designation

I am currently shooting Gold Tip 7595 arrows. Can someone please tell me if the Gold Tip 340 designation is the same spine?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nevermind. I went right to the horse's mouth and called Gold Tip. Their CS told me that they switched from their 4 digit spine designation (i.e.: 3555, 5575, 7595) and went to the standardized 3 digit designation (250, 340, 400, etc.)
Old 08-04-2015, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I just ran into that a while ago - someone else was asking me about GT's spine designation. Its good that they dropped the old 4 digit numbers, too. They were really confusing, and they weren't consistent. In one series of arrow shaft, the 7595 were a .300 spine, and in another series 7595's were actually .340. As confusing as they are, at least Easton's aluminum spine numbers are fairly consistent. I think they're gonna save people a lot of headaches by switching to the straightforward 3 digit spine numbers.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like CJ mentioned, the old system was FAIRLY consistent, but wasn't perfectly clean.

Even for the new system, watch your tail. A LOT of the bows on the market today will over run the cross-reference chart. The instructions generally say "go down and over to the right at least one block if your bow is XXXfps," more often than not, I find that doing so is necessary. Even for my wife's Jewel - a 50lb bow - she had to go up a spine to get proper tears compared to what the reference chart suggested. My Destroyer 350, my Monster, and my Outlaw did as well.

The good news is that they're making more offerings in the .300 and .250" classes now, to accommodate these high performance bows. It was rough ~4yrs ago when I got my Monster to find a reasonably weighted 300.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Like CJ mentioned, the old system was FAIRLY consistent, but wasn't perfectly clean.

Even for the new system, watch your tail. A LOT of the bows on the market today will over run the cross-reference chart. The instructions generally say "go down and over to the right at least one block if your bow is XXXfps," more often than not, I find that doing so is necessary. Even for my wife's Jewel - a 50lb bow - she had to go up a spine to get proper tears compared to what the reference chart suggested. My Destroyer 350, my Monster, and my Outlaw did as well.
I found that out the hard way with me PSE DNA. I was shooting 5575s out of my Martin set at 63# and they flew great. With the DNA which shot 307 fps out of my chorno I had to go up to 7595s. It was driving me crazy until I finally figured it out.