Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Let's hear your opinion >

Let's hear your opinion

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Let's hear your opinion

Old 07-31-2015, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Let's hear your opinion

i just checked my FOC on my arrows and came up with a figure of 8.4%.
From what I think the suggested FOC is 8-15% for hunting so I am at the low end. In order to increase the FOC I would have to go up to 125 gr tips/broadheads. This would be an expensive proposition as all my current BHs are 100 grain.
Would increasing my tip weight increase my accuracy/tighten my groups? I am currently shooting about 2" groups at 30 yds.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-01-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I just checked my FOC on my arrows and came up with a figure of 8.4%.
From what I think the suggested FOC is 8-15% for hunting so I am at the low end. In order to increase the FOC I would have to go up to 125 gr tips/broadheads. This would be an expensive proposition as all my current BHs are 1000 grain.
Would increasing my tip weight increase my accuracy/tighten my groups? I am currently shooting about 2" groups at 30 yds.
FOC helps with overall flight characteristics, which can make your arrow a little more forgiving, but it's not really a defining factor in accuracy. Increasing FOC could help, but it's not a guaranteed fix for what usually ends up being an issue with tuning or form.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

At 1000 grains already I would not add more weight unless your arrows are long.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

FOC, while important, isn't the make all break all point in flight characteristics. There are some companies out there that are trying to sell new products, such as the F.A.C.T. system or these new fangled arrows with all this supposidly new FOC tech built in to them. It's more of a gimmic than anything. Will it help in penetration? A little yes. Can it affect accuracy? In SOME cases yes. In your case? Not really Bronco. More likely the culprit in your grouping is either form or fletch. May be torquing that new bow a little bit by not keeping your grip loose. It is a different grip than that PSE you had and was very used to. Could be a fletch problem. Maybe they aren't fletched dead evenly. Could be the clamps were a fraction off from each other. I know you are like I am and expect much more from yourself than 2 inch groups at 30 yards but honestly that aint that bad in hunting terms. It could simply be that you just need to shoot that bow a lot more to get the feel and rhythm of it. Some bows I can pick up and bust knocks right off with them. Others I have to pound the heck out of them to shoot half decent groups.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DIY_guy
At 1000 grains already I would not add more weight unless your arrows are long.
you do realize that was a typo don't you?

I don't want to sound like I'm coming off too cocky but I don't think its my form. And possibly, just maybe my tuning is off just a tad. But I think you may be right Super. I'm still trying to "get the feel" of this new Mathews. I may even have to get the module changed to add another 1/2" of draw length.

Last edited by bronko22000; 08-01-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you increase your tip weight without making other adjustments your groups will probably get worse.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the spine is OK right now there are weights that you can screw into the back of the inserts. You need to remove the nocks and Gold Tip makes a loooong Allen wrench to fit theirs. Check with Lancaster.

Frankly if your arrows are grouping inside 2" or so at 30 yards I wouldn't be too concerned. I'd try shooting them at 50 or 60 yards and see what results you get. Too low on FOC and groups tend to open up at longer distances.

Then again, you're a Pa. guy ain't you? Shots aren't going to be more than 30 yards 95% of the time. I'd be more concerned with just getting a better feel for the bow.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by BGfisher
Then again, you're a Pa. guy ain't you? Shots aren't going to be more than 30 yards 95% of the time. I'd be more concerned with just getting a better feel for the bow.
BG you're correct about the 95% of the time. But I shot my biggest buck yet with a bow a couple years ago at 43 yards. Had I not been practicing out to 70 yards and been confident that I was able to make the shot I probably would have let him walk. But confidence in my equipment and a good rangefinder, his head now decorates my wall.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

EDIT: Forgot to mention, as if it's not clear below - I would take the time to try out greater FOC, if it doesn't work, you can go back easily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've never heard recommendations of 8-15%, generally I've heard 11-15%, and I target 13-15% myself these days.

Why not find a buddy with some 125's and try them out?

Or go spend about $10 and get some 125grn field points?

OR... further... for about $12, you can get a dozen GoldTip FACT weights to screw into the rear of your inserts (need a long allen wrench), these let you run your preferred tip/head and add tip weight.

As you might expect about me, since FOC is a calculated value, I've spent some time playing with it. I tend to lean towards 12-15% FOC, and I've seen the payback for doing so.

Penetration is another added bonus for greater FOC.

For my primary deer hunting bow (Destroyer 350), I run Gold Tip Velocity Pro 300's cut to the berger hole with 125grn points and 30grn of FACT weights behind the insert, good for about 450grns with an FOC of 14.3%. I can't shoot a Glendel buck any closer than 40yrds otherwise I'll pass through and ruin my wrap and vanes - they hit HARD.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have plenty of 125 gr FTs from my recurve and longbow days Nomercy. I won't be back home though to change them out until later this month. Its just the price of new broadheads that would hurt the wallet.
I'm looking for opinions on the effects of FOC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.