Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Setup / nock height >

Setup / nock height

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Setup / nock height

Old 03-29-2015, 04:33 AM
Spike

Default Setup / nock height

I had my bow set up at the shop when I bought it a couple years ago. I have started to get into the do-it-yourself stuff recently, and I have a question about how mine was originally set up. For starters, the bow is a Reflex Highlander (cam 1/2) with a Octane Hostage Pro rest. I recently read Greg's sticky about installing nocksets and loops, and noticed that he sets is nock height so the arrow is perpendicular to the string when nocked. This makes sense to me. However, when I nock an arrow on my bow, the arrow is not perpendicular and is pointing downward. Is this a reflection of the bow being a cam 1/2, or was it not set up properly? It shoots just fine, but I am a perfectionist and want to have peace of mind. Should I lower my nock or raise my sight so the arrow is perpendicular and lined up with the berger holes?
Old 03-30-2015, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's normal for anything but a twin/binary/dual cam bow to have a downward tilt to the arrow when it's nocked and not drawn. The upper cam and lower cam, or idler wheel and lower cam on a solo cam bow, do not have the same string take up as it's drawn or fired, so the nocking point ends up a bit higher than level.

Binary/dual/twin cam bows have the same upper and lower string take up, so the nock point is level with - perpendicular to - the rest.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was probably set up with a "finger" shooter in mind. The cam and a half is kind of in between a single cam and a dual cam. With a finger draw, on a Hoyt cam and a half system, your nock point should be about 3/16" high of perpendicular. With a release loop, it should be anywhere around 1/8" (about half of 3/16") of perp.

The cam and a half system still has "nock travel" but not so much as a single cam bow. With it at a dead 90 degree perp., you would end up with the arrow tailing UP on release. Paper tune your bow and you will see what all you need to adjust much easier. As far as Nock point and center shot anyway. It will also show you weather or not you are correctly spined as well. At least to a point.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Before you touch anything, you should paper tune it. That will tell you if anything needs to be tweaked. I have my bow shooting bullet holes at 5 yards and the nock is set 3/16ths high. I'm not touching anything with those results.