Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
broad head problems >

broad head problems

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broad head problems

Old 04-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would have to agree that even though we're talking about flight, it doesn't seem that it takes rocket science to figure out what you just mentioned!
Old 04-22-2015, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well we seem to have a difference of opinion. And you know what they say about opinions. I too have been in this game a long time. Even longer than you. So we will just have to agree to disagree.
Let me give you my experience with a spine issue I recently had. I was shooting 3 different Martin compounds with draw wt ranges from 57 - 68#. Shooting Gold Tip 5575 shafts cut to 28" with 3 helical Blazer vanes and 100 gr tips. All 3 bows once tuned properly gave excellent arrow flight with FTs and BHs (including Bloodrunners) out to 70 yards with speeds from 265 fps - 286fps. Now just for clarification I will not shoot at any animal at that distance. It just makes me concentrate more and gives me more confidence.
However, 2 years ago I purchased a PSE DNA and had the DW set to 63#. This bow shot the same arrow at 307 fps. I tuned it with FTs and shot it for a month or so until I got used to it. Then I started to BH tune. I just could not get any BHs except Rages to shoot. I double checked for fletching contact and I switched to 4" vanes with no luck and even tried 4" RW feathers. It was driving me nuts. My friend, who has the same DL as me but shoots a heavier weight had Gold Tip 7595 shafts. He loaned me a few and with just a bit of tweaking of the rest my flight issue was solved. I can shoot any style 100 gr. BH (without aligning to my fletching) with excellent results My only assumption is that because the PSE had a more radical cam and launched the arrow at a higher speed caused too much rear torque on the shaft making it under spined for that bow.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Agree to disagree. You are dead on correct in the assumption that a more radical cam, as well as faster reflex limbs created the need for a heavier spine arrow. Now lets look at a couple of other variables in your own personal experience. How much did that spine increase cost you in speed? I would guess at around a 30-50 grain weight difference you dropped down to 295 to 297 on the high side? Do the 7595 have a helical twist on the fletch? So in all probability it was not JUST the spine issue but speed reduction as well that aided in your issue.

Broadhead steering has been a problem for many years. It got WAY worse when compound bows started to produce speeds in excess of 280fps. Take a close look at your 7595 GT setups bronko and you might just find that your BH alignment is closer than you think.

I too practice at ridiculous yardages to keep my form as well as my confidence up. Wont take a shot past 40 yards on an animal even with my "high octane" super speed burning bows even though I am confident I can hit the mark at 80 yards with relative ease in the proper conditions. Just too many things that can go wrong at those ranges. As well as more than likely you wont pass through.

BTW, how do you like that DNA? I'm stuck on Bowtech myself. Never found another compound with their combination of speed, quietness, forgiveness, and tuning ability. Tried out a few from various other makers but just never found any with that certain "feel". I've never been a big fan of PSE and Mathews just "borrows" technology from everyone else and claims it for their own. But PSE seems to have stepped up in the world a little. I switched to the Bowtech Experience from an Admiral last year because I know pretty soon I am going to have to drop down on my pull weight do to old age and shoulder injuries so I am going to need that extra little bit of "thump".
Old 04-22-2015, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

To answer your question, all my arrows have helical fletching. And your speed loss estimate is right on the money.
As for the DNA it feels good in my hand. The shop where I bought it carried PSE, Bowtech and Elite and I was able to shoot them all. Out of them all I liked the DNA. The first year I had limited time so I set it up with the previously mentioned Rages and killed a nice 8 pt whitetail. Then the following spring I started having my flight issues when using my favorite 2 and 4 fixed blade BHs. I was having a bear of a time with it and even considered selling it until I got the issue resolved with the heavier shafts.
The DNA is fast, quiet for a bow this fast and pretty smooth drawing. Its only drawback is it has a 65% let off in lieu of the more popular 80% these days. Would I get another one? Probably not. When I am in the market for a new bow again I will likely go back to Martin or try out a Bowtech. In the past 10 years my favorite bow was a Martin Cheetah. I could shoot that bow so well that I was able to shoot 2" groups at 60 and 70 yards on a regular basis. Not all the time but often enough. But alas the bow suffered a limb crack for some reason. Martin honored their guarantee but because they no longer made the Cheetah they gave me a new comparable model which I gave to my cousin's son. That is when I got the DNA

Last edited by bronko22000; 04-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it's kick butt speed you are looking for while still having a relatively smooth draw and 80% let off then take a good look at the Bowtech RPM 360. I ALMOST dropped a grand on it but went for the "tamer" Experience. It just felt a little better to me. That Admiral I had pretty much spoiled me rotten. Never had a better shooting bow till I got that Experience. I think when I do finally drop down my draw weight, and I'm about ready to give up the ghost and do it after practicing today I will still have around 290+fps to play with since I do use a bit on the heavy side arrows. I like that kinetic energy delivered from my "logs" to pass through whatever I hit.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know if you ever tried a Martin bow. You might want to someday. The offer 80% let off, are fast and smooth drawing and their prices won't break your wallet. When you get a chance, try one someday.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I liked Martin Single cam bows a long time ago. You do know that it was actually Martin Archery that came up with single cam technology don't you? Mathews was always trying to claim to be the "innovator" of single cam tech. It's partly why I always had a beef against Mathews. They haven't "innovated" a single idea yet. Everything they have they got for someone else. Single cam, parallel limb tech, weighted cam, limbsaver inserts, all taken from other companies.

Haven't really had the chance to shoot a Martin compound bow in several years. My recurve is a Martin Hunter custom. Had it made a good while back with a heavier draw weight at my length to 73 pounds and a couple of other various tweeks. I like it a lot. May get one of their new Take down bows if I can get them to step up the weight to 65 at my length. Like I said before, my poor old shoulder is starting to let me know when I am at full draw nowadays. That 7-8 pounds really makes a difference.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

This original post I don't recall anyone asking if the poster did a spin check to see if his inserts/broadheads were aligned!!!!
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

With Helical fletching,proper spine,and a properly tuned bow my broadheads do not have to be lined up.

How would you line up a 2 or 4 blade broadhead anyway?

I think bare shaft tuning is the way to go but without consistency I'd guess there are form problems exaggerated by the broadheads.

There is no doubt that speed reduction helps mask the problem but with a proper spine and tuning there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by rockport; 09-04-2015 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Spike

Default Simple Solution

Switch to The Atom Broadhead. It flies just like field points, there is zero plaining and they have excellent penetration. I have yet to shoot an animal that it didn't completely pass through. They are durable, and the engineer and owner of the company Matt will talk to you for hours about the design. IF you have ANY problems with it, they will warranty the broadheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.