Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Archery moose advice >

Archery moose advice

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Archery moose advice

Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Spike

Default Archery moose advice

Got drawn for Moose in z56 this year and I know from previous couple of years that they are crawlin all over the place when heavy in rut. I am taking 2 weeks off to hunt moose this year, but would really like to take one with the bow.

I would like some advice as to whether or not cow moose scent is effective( was $50 a bottle) when I looked at it last year.

Do you cow call first thing and go till noon calling or do you go all day if rut is on. I know some u-tube guys indicated they start callin about 3 in afternoon when bull wakes up.

Would appreciate any advice on forrest archery moose techniques.

Have seen many during the rut, but only one that we actually called in when my brother was using the coffee can trick with a wet shoe lace. Unfortunately the bull came in just moments before dark and never had time to see him.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Banned

I have hunted moose while stationed in Alaska ans have never used a scent. Mainly just get above a marshy area and spot them. I have noticed that calling for moose is only affective after you have spotted them. Well I just now realized you posted this in OCT so howd your hunt go?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forget scent. Use the wind carefully. Start cow calling softly as you never know how close a bull might be and yhry spook easily. If you get a bull to respond then call only in response to him. The best tool you can have when archery hunting moose is a cow decoy. Bulls get suspicious when they close on a call and see nothing. My experience is sun up is the most productive time to call in a bull moose. Also a 2 man team is most effective. One does the calling and makes noise like twig snapping and the other intercepts the incoming bull who is fixated on the caller.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Banned

What sttate are you going to be moose hunting in?
Old 03-27-2015, 05:57 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

When calling them in, don't be in too much of a rush to draw. They're not too skittish, so wait until they're good and broadside before drawing. I've learned the hard way to NOT draw when you first see antlers coming your way over the brush. (Unless you can hold at full draw for five minutes, anyway!)