Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow rotation, is it important? >

Arrow rotation, is it important?

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow rotation, is it important?

Old 09-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Arrow rotation, is it important?

I think I read on Turbo nocks website that standard offset or helical fletched arrows only spin a shaft about 2 turns out to 30 yards or so (going from memory here). That struck me as really really low, I was sure it would be much more.

Is this true? If so, how does this little of rotary motion help? Wouldn' t more be better? Is it a case for turbonocks?

Of course, As I sit here all my 4" offset/helical feather fletched ACCs are hitting the same spot at 30 yards, so the point may be moot, but I' m bored and feel like discussing something
Old 09-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow rotation, is it important?

I tried the turbo nock earlier this year and did not like them much. When I tried to tune with them, I ended up with the nock about 5/8" above 90 degrees. This was unexecptable to me and I adjusted the tiller and got the nock back to about 3/8th over 90. But then, I wasn' t happy with my tiller and I was having a difficult time keeping the pins on target without fighting the bow. There were some other problems, that I had with them as well. I went back to my normal four vaned arrows and all was good again. Just my experience with them.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:47 AM

that standard offset or helical fletched arrows only spin a shaft about 2 turns out to 30 yards or so
Thats still about 600 -800 RPM' s - so it is spinning pretty well
Old 09-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

RB,
Most of my real experience is in the firearm arena, so based on that i gave the turbo nocks a try after I saw the pitch at the Harrisburg Sportsmans show.
They definitely work!
I had some arrow that were underspined for my set-up and put the turbo' s on the shafts with 100gr feild points. No fish tailing, porpising or anything...just straight to the target, and nice groups to boot.
Peer pressure has caused me to drop them for now, got tired of the laughing[]
Back to your point...spin stabilizing works. Works great on bullets. And if you like them...making a dozen arrows takes 5 minutes.
I still want to try the " hunter" version.
Since I shoot 3,4inch vanes(27gr), nock adaptor(11gr), g-nock(7gr) and sometimes arrow wraps(11gr), I already have 45-56gr on the tail end of the arrow anyway, so sewitching to the turbo hunter is no big deal to me since my F.O.C. is set up to accomodate this weight anyway.
I think the concept is awesome but if the turbo pops off on a pass thru shot, you may find your nock, but what about the arrow?
Old 09-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think thats more like 360 RPM

360 RPM=6 RPSecond

Arrow travels about 30 yards in 1/3 second on average.

So thats 2 revolutions per 1/3 second.

But thats assuming constant arrow speed.

But thats still quite a bit.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:09 PM

I think thats more like 360 RPM
Your right - sorry

I must of used the calculator that Bowtech gave me when I bought their bow
Old 09-24-2003, 01:39 PM

Any oblong projectile will fly better when it' s spinning. It helps stabilize it.

Footballs
Bullets
Arrows
Old 08-10-2004, 11:05 AM

PSE tested the TUBO NOCK on high speed video and found it to spin an arrow two times in the first five feet of flight.
If you do the math that comes to 4800 rpm as soon as the arrow leaves the bowstring from a 200 fps bow. That is better than ten times faster revolutions than a conventional arrow can get up to at 20 yds.
At the same moment in time when the arrow just leaves the bow , a conventional arrow has virtually no spin , while the TURBO at 4800 rpms already has stabilized your arrow.
I have just been reading all the messages on this site about TURBOS and found that most of the complaints are the result of lack of tuning the TURBOs properly. TURBOS fly best around 1/8 inch nock high from most bows using fallaways or whisker biscuits. We have found that the new cam and 1/2 hybrid bows tune best about 1/8 nock low.
We provide tuning instructions with each package, and also have a website where anyone can get help setting up their bow.
When set up properly they provide more consistant accuracy in the real world ,(outdoors in the wind) than any arrow with conventional fletching.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:30 PM

that sounds like 10 times the noise a vaned arrow would make in the same distance.i already have 2 inch groups at 20 yards with regular vanes if i use turbos will i get 1 1/2 inch groups half a spin 10 spins if the deer heres it coming hes going to move, that well make my 2 inch groups 6 or 8 inch groups turbos for target fine hunting naw.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:00 PM

I've always believed in tuning with the least amount of fletching possible. Once you get a good tune, put whatever crutch you want on the back of the arrow.

Quick Reply: Arrow rotation, is it important?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.