Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Glue for Carbon/inserts >

Glue for Carbon/inserts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Glue for Carbon/inserts

Old 09-15-2003, 12:33 PM

Default Glue for Carbon/inserts

I have tried several glue for my inserts for my carbon arrows and Im not having good reults. Most that I' ve tried are expoxy two part mixes with the glue and hardener. I tried the slow drying, 4 hour type and the 6 and 8 hour type. Im still loosing tips and heads in my targets. Not a cheap problem.
For years I shot wood and aluminum and used melted amber resin and never had a problem.
I don' t think putting enough heat to melt the resin to the carbon shafts is a wise idea Im at a lost.
I tried the brand named glue at the proshop and it was the worst of all. Anyone have any useful suggestions?
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM

Default RE: Glue for Carbon/inserts

I' m just getting started in fletching etc for my own arrows. The one brand I see a lot of guys mention for carbons is Goat Tuff - i believe it can be used for inserts/fletching and nocks.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:58 PM

I haven' t had good luck with Goat Tuff on inserts, but it sticks like crazy on the vanes.

First, clean the hell out of the inside of the arrow before you glue it. I use Devcon 5 minute epoxy right fromt the hardware store and it has worked GREAT for me. I recently bought a dozen carbon arrows from a guy that hotglued the inserts in and they were all loose within a couple firings.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:25 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I use Krazy glue from Wal Mart. I haven' t had an insert come out yet. Once they are in they are there to stay so may want to spin arrows and mark them prior to gluing.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:45 PM

i use goat tuff on everything from vanes to feathers and all my inserts as long as i twist the insert when im gluing it in i dont have any problem losing inserts and i dont even clean the inside of the arrow
Old 09-15-2003, 03:06 PM

Thanks,I have not had a single problem with my fletching but thanks for the comments there. It is strickly a problem with the insert coming loose or out when I extract the shaft from the target.
Devcon and crazy glue, anything else?
Old 09-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good luck with Powerbond.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:19 PM

If you' re losing inserts when pulling arrows, have you checked to make sure your field points are not a larger diameter than the arrow shaft? For most carbons (not counting line jammers) the points should be #9.

My shop has always used a 2 part 24 hour epoxy until this year. We' re now using a pse instant glue. The stuff sets so fast and is so strong that you must push the insert in really quick or risk having it set up part way in.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:47 PM

Antler Eater thanks.
NewYorkHunter, the inserts are the correct size, thank you.
The pse glue, sounds like something I' d like to use, do you have a brand name or location to purchase it?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:36 PM

try the 24 hour epoxy and make sure it has been a minumn of the total time cycle to enusre total cure.

Quick Reply: Glue for Carbon/inserts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.