Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Limbs

Old 02-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Spike

Default Limbs

Hey all! Got a question. I went to pull my bow back and the limbs shot forward....they guy at the shop said that I torqued the string off. A buddy of mine told me that I better hope that I didn't crack the limbs. That got me worried. I took it to the shop and they put the string back on. I've shot it a few times since with not problem. Shot just as good as before....so are my limbs ok?
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 AM
Fork Horn

Time will tell! You didn't do them any good! Did the shop look over the limbs and cams? Take a cotton ball and rub all over the limbs, if the cotton snags anywhere = not good. More than likely a split has started. The cams can be bent, just use a straight edge in every direction. I can probably guess what bow it is, but why not tell us the bow. One of the bows that have had this happen a lot, (derail), has a new design on the cams, one with deeper grooves.
Pat
Old 02-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 3Children
Time will tell! You didn't do them any good! Did the shop look over the limbs and cams? Take a cotton ball and rub all over the limbs, if the cotton snags anywhere = not good. More than likely a split has started. The cams can be bent, just use a straight edge in every direction. I can probably guess what bow it is, but why not tell us the bow. One of the bows that have had this happen a lot, (derail), has a new design on the cams, one with deeper grooves.
Pat
It's a Mathews Outback. I ran a cotton swab over 'em......didn't snag anywhere! If I remember correctlly they told me the cam is fine, also told me to do what you said and run cotton over 'em and see.....but like I said...I did, it didn't snag anywhere!

Last edited by James Hall; 02-07-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

They should be fine. Keep checking them over time and if anything is wrong, it will show up soon. Mathews will usually cover accidents under warranty as long as you are the original owner and strait up about what happened.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Michael396
They should be fine. Keep checking them over time and if anything is wrong, it will show up soon. Mathews will usually cover accidents under warranty as long as you are the original owner and strait up about what happened.
How long's the warrenty last? I'm the original owner.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by James Hall
How long's the warrenty last? I'm the original owner.

Fo-eva..... lifetime warranty to original owner.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can probably guess what bow it is, but why not tell us the bow. One of the bows that have had this happen a lot, (derail), has a new design on the cams, one with deeper grooves.
Ha Ha HA!!!!!! Open mouth insert foot.

The warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original owner but Mathews has gotten very strict with their warranty. When you dry fire or derail a string like this they will not cover it under warranty like they did 5 or 10 years ago. It sounds like your limbs will be fine if there were no visible splinters any where and the bow is shooting just as it did before the accident.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigbulls
Ha Ha HA!!!!!! Open mouth insert foot.

The warranty is a lifetime warranty to the original owner but Mathews has gotten very strict with their warranty. When you dry fire or derail a string like this they will not cover it under warranty like they did 5 or 10 years ago. It sounds like your limbs will be fine if there were no visible splinters any where and the bow is shooting just as it did before the accident.

String derailment can be hard to prove or disprove from a warranty standpoint.... lets not split hairs of course cause as many bows as BB and I work on in our respective shops..... you can't show me much I ain't seen before and nobody can BS us much.

I can't think of many situations when bow was under warranty by Mathews that they haven't covered limbs.... One guy ran his over with a truck.... another left his on the tailgate and let it ride down the road at 50 mph..... but even with a lot of dry fires if the bow is still in the hand of the origiinal owner.... more often than not they will still cover them. Strings are never covered ever.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
Spike

Well, good news! I shot my bow a couple of times today. Everything's fine! Sights may be a little off....but I can adjust them!