Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
newbie question about bow addons >

newbie question about bow addons

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

newbie question about bow addons

Old 12-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Spike

Question newbie question about bow addons

ok im going up to gander mountain or basspro later in jan to get a bow.

i know the experts or whatever will be able to help me with what i need besides the bow but i figured id ask here so i can get a grand total price range.

so once you get a bow what exactly do you need to get to make it huntworthy.

ie: sights that little chip ppl but in there lip from the string, one guy told me a string stoper thing, or that big fuzzy thing that looks funky on the string.

so any help would be great.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

Arrow rest, I reccomend a QAD drop away, a peep sight, a pin sight, a quiver that attaches to your bow for your arrows, string whiskers, stabilizer, limb savers, a D loop, a trigger release, and a wrist harness. That's all I have on my bow. that little chip you're talking about is called a kisser button, they may be nice, I don't know, I don't know anybody that uses one.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:30 PM
Spike

ok cool thanks one more question just in case the guy at the store ends up bias.

do any of the brands have like brand specific features that make any difference or do yall just pick the ones that feel good and not worry about brands.

like is any particular brand on average on the heavy or light side or quieter or louder than most or anything weird like being finiky with any kind of arrow or peice of gear

Last edited by dylanm; 12-30-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

that I can't help with, I bought mine off of craigslist, just found one the right size and draw weight and made sure it wasn't damaged
Old 12-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

My first recommendation to you is to go to a pro shop and stay away from Bass Pro, Cabelas, and Gander MT.

Bow - forget about speed. IF you can't control the speed you only miss faster.
Look for a bow that has 7 or more inches of brace height and is 32" or more in ATA length.

Sights - I like to have individually vertically micro adjustable pins. Don't fall for a sight that says it's micro adjustable but the pins are not. Unless the individual pins are micro adjustable it's just a gimmick to get you to pay more money.

Rests - I like to keep it simple. I prefer the whisker biscuit style of rests. They are simple, incredibly rugged and don't have moving parts that can fail. I use a hostage pro from Octane.

Stabilizer - IMO the best hunting stabilizer on the market is Doinker DISH. I looks funny but it works better than any other stabilizer I have used to date.

Mechanical release - Get a good release. I prefer Scott and use the sabertooth and silverhorn. If you use a string loop you will love the silverhorn. You don't have to spend this much on a release but don't skimp.

Quiver - get what ever. It only has to hold some arrows and you will most likely take it off in the tree any way.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Spike

I agree with getting a whisker biscuit. I would never use anything else in a hunting situation. No matter what angle you turn your bow, the arrow will never fall out, I found this to be very useful if you stalk and your forced to crawl on the ground.