Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which vanes

Old 12-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Spike

Default Which vanes

I will be using mostly for hunting and 3d. I shoot g5 t3 broad heads looking for the best arrow flight and stabilization but also wanna be light to help get a high FOC. I am looking at fusion 1.5", blazer x-vanes 1.5" shield cut, 2" blazers, blazer x vanes 1.75" shield cut. What do yall think will be the best.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sorry, I'd be the last one to ask

I started with the plain 4" vanes, some 20 years ago, and never looked elsewhere.
They helped the arrow hit the target and the deer accurately, and still do, so I never looked elsewhere.
Of course, it helped not to compete with those 3D shooters. I was only thinking about hitting the deer and not getting some world championship hitting foam make believes.

Of course, it never hurt that those plain old 4" plastic vanes stayed cheap. Those new fangled vanes, I notice, keep getting more expensive. Something about cheaper, always appealed to me.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have tried every vane on the market, for hunting and for 3D I have found that 2" blazers are the best and most durable.

I've been doing this for over 40 years.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been shooting Bi-Delta Vanes for just over 10 years and have not regretted one minute of it. They are rather odd looking, look like I took a 2 inch vane and cut 2 notches out. They are low profile, low drag and silent. I get many questions about them at IBO shoots and everywhere else I go. I do not own another vane in my place. I use 2 inch for hunting with expandable heads and my brother uses the 4 inch with fixed.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

I have the Vane Tec and the Fusion vanes. I shoot 3" vt and sometimes use the 2"vt for hunting. I also set up my 3D arrows with 1.5"vt. Both of these vanes work really well and stick well on shafts without jumping through loops to do that. I fletch a lot of arrows per year and want the easiest vane to do that with. BTW Gold Tip uses Vane Tec on their shafts not any others, and no, they do not own any part of the company!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Typical Buck

Been using 4" AAE vanes for 4 or 5 yrs. Just recently bought some 2" NAP Twisters to try out. Seem to fly really nice and hold tight groups. Only shot them a dozen times so far.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 AM
Spike

I wouldn't recommend the 1.5 for broadheads. You still want some vane to help steer. I would recommend the 2". I personally like the blazers and most of our customers do also. For 3 d though I shoot the mini blazers.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

For best flight stabilization and light weight you can't beat feathers, but if you are set on vanes the 2" Blazers will do the job.

Dan
Old 12-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Spike

I am also a Blazer fan.