Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
string position question >

string position question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string position question

Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Spike

Default string position question

I bought my first bow, about two weeks ago. It is a Martin Adventure Series, I don't remember the exact model, but it was used. Shot off to the right when I bought it so I sighted it in at 15 yds. Now I have noticed that the string is actually twisted to the left. Say the sight and rest are at the 12 o'clock position. String is at the 6 o'clock position. Well, the peepsight and the release loop are twisted to about the 7 or 8 o'clock position. I am very new to bow's so I'm wondering should I have this looked at? Has anyone else had this before? I'm kinda wondering if the farther back from the target I am, will it throw my arrow off to the right again?
Old 12-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Draw the bow back, does the peep line up with your eye? Is the string new? If the string is over 2yrs old with a used bow, I would suggest changing the set of cables and strings. Not familiar with that bow! Strings will twist, some more than others, and some is due to setup.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:17 AM
Spike

The peep does line up when at full draw, but I'm wondering with the twist in the string is torquing the arrow. Any idea what a new set of strings and cables would cost? Ballpark figure. I paid $200 for the bow RTS. If its more then say $50, then I may just invest in a new bow. I have no idea how old this one is, but I'm gonna guess more than 2 yrs. Wanted a cheap bow to see if I even liked archery.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nagel_1
The peep does line up when at full draw, but I'm wondering with the twist in the string is torquing the arrow. Any idea what a new set of strings and cables would cost? Ballpark figure. I paid $200 for the bow RTS. If its more then say $50, then I may just invest in a new bow. I have no idea how old this one is, but I'm gonna guess more than 2 yrs. Wanted a cheap bow to see if I even liked archery.
Over on www.archerytalk.com H&M bowstrings is running an end of year special. $40 for a set. Check it out and give him a call if you have any questions. I personally know a couple guys on the Martin Archery Tech Forum that are using his strings and have given good reviews.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:45 AM
Spike

If you are shooting with a release, just put a D loop on and it will straighten up the peep at full draw. The twist is not torquing the arrow. Most strings will line up a little off at rest, but with a D loop, they will staighten out just fine.

You can adjust the peep so that it doesn't twist if you have well made strings, but it usually requires a bow press.

New strings are probably a good idea if they are over 2 years old. However, if they are in good shape, you may be able to wait a while. The first compound bow I ever bought is about 10 years old and has it's original string & cables. The bow hasn't been shot very often in the last 8+ years, but they are still in good shape. Stretched out a bit, but not a safety issue.

Allen