Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
shooting left--whats the problem >

shooting left--whats the problem

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting left--whats the problem

Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default shooting left--whats the problem

I shoot a Mission Eliminator. Lately when practicing in the yard I've noticed my bow is shooting more to the left than usual. At 10 yards its dead on. At 15 yards I'm about 3-4 inches left. At 20 yards about 6-8 inches left. I tried adjusting my grip to keep from torquing when I shoot but nothing has helped. Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2010, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb Centershot

The most likely thing is that the centershot adjustment is off, too far to the left. There should be a thread on walk back tuning somewhere on this site. Someone with lots of quality experience can explain it much better than I can, but that is likely what is wrong. Might have been a little too hasty setup, or the rest moved, or maybe even your sight moved to the right. Check everything for tightness, then walk back tune. Good luck getting it fixed.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't trust bow shops anymore. Even the one I had gone to and got good service. Tune it yourself. Sounds like the rest is off. So let's begin there.

Go to the hardware store and get a vernier caliper. If you don't have at least 2 levels (for perfectly straight edges) buy them or borrow them. Clamp the level on each side of your bow limbs where the limbs bolt to your handle. Before we move on, would you agree the string aligns with the very center of your handle and that the bolts holding on the limb also aligns with the very center? If that answer is yes in your mind, why shouldn't your arrow also? The only reason it won't is if the rest was off. With an arrow already knocked, take the vernier caliper and measure the from edge to edge, arrow to each level, and adjust your rest until both sides equal. If you have doubts to your knock point, go buy a bow tee from a sports store. They run about $12 and with this and the above setup, you can be sure your arrow is coming off your bow perfectly.

You would be very surprised if you actually took a few bows at random that supposedly just got tuned at the shop and are way off.

Last edited by Fieldmouse; 11-13-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it comes out. When I was at the shop it was dead on. A few weeks shooting at home and now its off. I'll try your recommendations. I need to familiarize myself with it anyway. This is my first bow. Thanks for the help.