Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
How do I sight in a single pin movable sight? >

How do I sight in a single pin movable sight?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do I sight in a single pin movable sight?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Spike

Default How do I sight in a single pin movable sight?

Hi Everyone,
I am thinking about switching from a 3pin to a single pin sight and I have one main question. How do I sight in a single pin sight? Everywhere i have looked online says simply sight in at 20 and 60 yards but none tell you how to do that. Can anyone help? Thanks
Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 AM
Spike

Default Ref: Sighting in a single pin w/moveable sight

I recently purchased a Tru-Glow sight thats just as you described.

It took a little adjustment of the sight pin section of the sight to lower it down enough (the lower the better - as it gives you more range of adjustment. When you start working on it you will see what I mean). Then the sight pin range adjustment bar was set as low as it would go and I tested it out at 10 yards. After a little more adjusting I had it set dead on for the 10 yard range. You could probably start at 20 yards - but I was afraid of missing the target and breaking an arrow. Thats why I started at 10 yards.

Then, I put a temporary strip of masking tape over where the blank yardage marking strip is located on the sight (this way I could make a pen mark at each 10 yard increment) in order to get an idea how this sight will finally be set up.

I made a mark on the masking tape strip at 10 yards, moved the range adjustment bar upward a little until I was hitting dead on at 20 yards. I kept doing this while increasing the distance to the target in 10 yard increments, making marks on the masking tape all the way out to 60 yards. I even had enough room on the sight to make a 70 yard mark on the tape.

I had ordered preprinted yardage strips. I found the one that matched up with the marks on the masking tape, and swapped out the masking tape for the preprinted strips.

I had always used multiple pin sights before, so this was something very new to me. Thus far, I'm very glad I made the switch.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The sight in at 20 and 60 rule is only for HHA sights with the provided set up tape and corresponding sight tapes.

I'll spare the lecture, but the sight tapes were developed using an allgorithum (which I barely understood in college calculus and never learned to spell either).

Suffice to say that you have a set up tape with arbitrary numbers 0-65 on it, evenly spaced (this is supplied three times over with HHAs... along with directions). You sight in at 20 yards... record your number... lets say 16 and walk on back moving a bit at a time until you are at 60 yards. Record your number again... lets say its 56 just to keep the math easy. You subtract the 20# from the 60# (56-16 = 40) THe HHA comes with about 50 tapes numbered like 20-55 or so.... find tape number 40... move the sight slider back down to number 16.... lock it down... peel the set up tape off... line up the 20 setting with the indicator slide... lick it... stick it .... done....

That only applies if you have an HHA and only if you so choose to use the premade sight tapes! Remember that those yardages are only as accurate as your set up... if you guess your ranges and don't make good shots on set up... then you won't have an accurate sight system!

You can also just use a plain white strip and mark off as you sight in walking back.... plenty of folks do this with good results.

Best of luck.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:36 PM
Spike

Thanks guys so just to clarify i should just start at like 10 yards figure out where it needs to be there and walk back to 15 and so on. marking the tape as i go?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 11mulian
Thanks guys so just to clarify i should just start at like 10 yards figure out where it needs to be there and walk back to 15 and so on. marking the tape as i go?

That's the best way to do it. More fun too.