Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching glue?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default fletching glue?

What is the best fletching glue for blazers and carbon arrows? I seen a guy at a pro shop put glue on them tap it on paper towel lightly and place in jig....then a drop on front and back. they turned out very nice. I know a couple people that use super glue jell, but always seem to look as they use to much and pushes out sides...thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good luck with regular bohning glue for carbon arrows, super glue, and AAE glue. Planning on using goat tuff next bottle, I've heard good things about it. But in my opinion, regardless of glue the best thing you can do is very good arrow shaft preparation and adequate time in the jig. Slacking here is a recipe for short adhesion life. I also put an extra bead in the front and back of the vane.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

I like using the AAE gel glue or if I run out of that I use Loktite control gel glue.

just apply a small bead in the center all the way down maybe the thickness of a needle.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

goat tuff is the stuff that i use... its crazy expensive but it will last quite a while. it holds better than anything ive ever used.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Spike

If you don't do many arrows and want a quick set glue, check out the Loctite super glue ultra gel in the black and blue bottle. It works really good but doesn't do a whole lot of arrows. Just make sure you prep the shafts correctly first.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by conquest
If you don't do many arrows and want a quick set glue, check out the Loctite super glue ultra gel in the black and blue bottle. It works really good but doesn't do a whole lot of arrows. Just make sure you prep the shafts correctly first.
When you think its done, take the plastic apart and remove the tube of glue in it. The little blue buttons you squeeze to get the glue to come out don't compress the glue all the way. Probably enough glue in there to do 4 or 5 more arrows if not more.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Fork Horn

I've had good results Gorilla super glue impact tough formula which is rubber toughened works really well and its availible at wally world and most hardware outlets! I've had complete pass thru's on 3D targets without loosing a vane!
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I've had good results Gorilla super glue impact tough formula which is rubber toughened works really well and its availible at wally world and most hardware outlets! I've had complete pass thru's on 3D targets without loosing a vane!
I use the same stuff. It's cheaper and easier to get than the glues marketed specifically for archery.

The tapping on a piece of paper doesn't work for me. I find that rolling the edge of the vane on the paper controls the amount of glue better than tapping.

However, I'm trying the Bohning fletching tape with feathers and it seems to be as good or better than glue. It's definitely not as messy and it's a little quicker.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks all....I'll try a few of these and see what ones seem to work best for me, just seems that some i have seen using the gel type have excessive glue down the sides of vanes. ....thanks again!