Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Poundage & Mechanical Broadheads >

Poundage & Mechanical Broadheads

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Poundage & Mechanical Broadheads

Old 09-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default Poundage & Mechanical Broadheads

My 17 year old daughter shoots a Browning Micro Midas 3 & draws 51#. Is this enough poundage for her to use a mechanical broadhead for a 15-20 yard shot? I have Rocky Mountain Sniper and G5 broadheads.
Thanks!
Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check these out...I believe they are similar to the Snipers.
http://www.ragebroadheads.com/Produc...-Broadhead.php
Old 09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not likely for a pass through. I'd go fixed but that's just me. I'm a mbh shooter but wouldn't recommend one for her setup. I am shooting them out of my bow at 55#, but I'm a 31" draw
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I HIGHLY recommend Magnus Stinger 4 blades for her.They fly GREAT and penetrate the ground well after doing their job.

41# bow at 24" draw mature doe

exit hole
Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have used mechanicals at 53# and 28" draw but I was using probably the best penetrating mechanical on the market in the Rocket Steelheads.

I shot nice 3 1/2 year old buck that year and did not get a passthrough.It was a rib that held the arrow up.It was a perfect shot.

I was so impressed by the stingers last year when my son shot his buck that I am using the buzzcuts this year in the 150 grain version.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Fork Horn

you could go with the magnus stingers like TFOX said i know a lot of people shoot slick tricks and they get great penetration or you could take a look at the ram cats, they are supposed to be the best penetrating fixed blade broadheads on the market. and i would go with fixed blade being that low of pounds. hope this helps!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

The last thing she should be using is a mechanical broadhead. Use a small diameter broadhead like a stinger, razor trick or slick trick standard, montec, razor cap, etc... and if she puts it where it is suppose to go she'll be a happy hunter.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely not enough energy generated with her setup for a mechanical head. A good cut on contact fixed head is just the ticket for her. Muzzy Phantoms, RazorTricks, Stingers, all good choices.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would definately go with a cut on contact BH. Magnus Stingers are good (last 2 buck with them and pass thrus 28" draw 55#), Muzzy Phantom, and Slick Trick Razortricks are good choices and good flying BHs.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

While some mechanical designs may work, they are far from ideal. With lower draw weight setups, and probably shorter draw length, you need to concentrate on maximizing penetration. To do that you need smaller cutting diameters, cut on contact blades, and in most cases fewer blades. Magnus stingers are excellent as well as slick slick trick razor tricks, snuffer ss, muzzy phantoms etc. If it was my choice I would go with stingers, two or 4 blade will work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.