Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
little things in your pack,or pocket >

little things in your pack,or pocket

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

little things in your pack,or pocket

Old 09-09-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default little things in your pack,or pocket

i've been thinking lately of all the stuff i have in my pack that i carry and dont use..but there is some things that i wouldnt take out no matter what,,,like my little zip lock bag of emergency stuff..its snuggled down nicely in the bottom of my pack just kind of hanging around if you may...in fact i find ziplocks very handy,,i have one with a face cloth soaked in sent free soap and water,,,i have one with film containers filled with cotton balls for scent hangers..i also have one for my dibeates insulin and needles.lets make a list of helpfull little stuff for the hunters out there new and old alike...
Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Until a few years ago, I stuffed everything in my pockets, but I now carry a pack. Each year I seem to add things to it. I made a medical kit and added a few survival items as well this year. I also carry an extra knife, drag rope, headlamp, flashlight, toilet paper, FRS radio, water, food and hoist rope for getting my gun or pack into the tree. I am sure I am forgetting a few things.

One thing I may carry this year is a small mess kit and alcohol stove with a couple extra food items in case I get stuck in the woods. I also picked up a Camelbak for use on my motorcycle and I will be pulling the bladder out and putting it into my pack. My pack is made to hold a bladder but didn't come with one.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

im pretty fond of my scent bombs i made out of film containers,,,i read about it in some hunting mag..drill holes around the top where cap snaps in,,,two in the lid fish a rubber band through and back through,,,makeing it hangable...fill it with your cotton balls and scent hang it on a limb,,,walla and it dont cost big bucks...but you do need the ziplock to put them in when you come out of the woods,,,lol
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

hey avd very cool,,if you want a alcohal stove try this one,,,take a 1 lb coffee can poke holes around bace 1 or two inches up stuff a roll of tp inside,pop on the lid,,,take a bottle of alcohal with you..if you need it pour the alcohal over the tp let it soak in and light it..walla alcohal stove...for the cost of a lb of coffee,,that your going to use anyway..just dont use the tp as bathroom paper anymore or they may hear you yell way back at camp...lol
Old 09-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Typical Buck

Interesting alcohol stove, have not seen that one before. I made one from an aluminum Bud Light bottle and it works great. It fits inside my 2 cup pot along with a 4 oz bottle of fuel, a lighter and a bottle of camp soap. 1 oz of fuel will boil 2 cups of water. My pot is just over 2 cups in size and takes up very little space and doesn't add much weight.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

very cool adv sounds like you have things covered,,,anouther cool little trick is to keep some laundry lint in a small container..if you ever need a fire and need starter fuel the lint will fire right up..of corse you need tinder on it but it was in a hunting magizine too..
Old 09-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've used that coffee can stove for years in a duck blind. Only I unwrapped the TP until the roll fit snugly in the can. Then poured the alcohol into the can. Let soak overnight with lid on. The next day, drain off excess alcohol, place lid on and tape to prevent leakage and evaporation. But For hunting, I carry a little folding stove and a can of Sterno if I am going to be out all day or if its going to be cold. A nice little Sterno fire and heating up a MRE or Mountain House meal and a hot cup of coffee for lunch keeps you going the rest of the day. Sure beats the crap out of a cold sandwich and cold water.
I also carry a couple of small wire ties. Great for putting your tag on your buck. Some other small items I carry are compass, butane lighter, metal match, and some vaseline soaked cotton balls in a film canister to use as a fire starter. All these wrapped up in a zip lock baggie.