Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
newbie to bowhunting needs help >

newbie to bowhunting needs help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

newbie to bowhunting needs help

Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default newbie to bowhunting needs help

I have long wanted to bow hunt but I have an issue.
I am left handed and right eye dominant. I had a store owner tell me that would never work and I would have to learn right handed. Well that won't work because I have dislocated my right shoulder in the past and it is just not up to trying plus it feels like throwing a ball like a girl.
With all the new sights and equipment, is it possible for me to shoot left handed with being right eye dominant?
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, you will just have to close one your right eye to aim through the sights.

I shot with one eye closed for a couple of years, and took a deer each of the 2 seasons. Shooting with one eye closed is not ideal (I learned recently and switched to both eyes open), but it will work fine.

Now you are able to close the right eye while keeping the left eye open, right?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Worked for me some twenty years

I too had a bad shoulder and had to try shooting opposite my power eye.

But it may not work for everyone, as it took me a lot of practice, practice, practice.

I keep both eyes open before I shoot, and just before I release the arrow, I close my dominant eye. I practiced so much, I don't even think of closing my dominant eye. And with my method, I only have to see the final little target; not the whole scene.

Good luck. If it can't be done, I would have retired from archery decades ago.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

copester - you definately can. I shoot my bows right handed but I am left eye dominant. I do shoot a rifle/shotgun from the left side but always shot a bow righty. Don't know why. But you can do it.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Spike

thanks for the input guys. No I can't close my right eye. I kinda thought I might make a patch that I could flip down at least till I get use to shooting.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

A patch will work. You could also wear shooting glasses and put a square of tape on the right lens to block vision in that eye.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 AM
Spike

Go to www.peepeliminator.com . We saw them at a Deer & Turkey Expo and their brochure shows left-hand, right-eye dominant sights and vice versa. My husband is right hand, left eye dominant and he has had to go to a crossbow until he found this sight. He just ordered on the other day.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

With it being this close to opening day might I recomend you use a crossbow for this season. I may get bashed for saying it but I don't think you have time to get ready to bowhunt with a bow this year. I'm not saying you don't have to practice with a xbow but you can get yourself ready much faster. Just saying.

With that out of the way, I have a buddy in the same boat so to speak. He shoots a shotgun/rifle left handed and a bow right handed. He just closes the dominate eye when aiming and shoot very well. Good luck whatever you choose.