Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Need help with shooting form >

Need help with shooting form

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Need help with shooting form

Old 09-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need help with shooting form

For years I have been struggling with shooting consistency. My biggest problem has been that often my shots are off to the right, sometimes as much as 4 inches or so.
I finally figured out that this is due to my bow arm moving to the right after the shot (I am right-handed). I was able to see this clearly when I decided to do some shooting after dark.. with my target lit and my shooting position not lit.. I could clearly see my arm position after the shot.
Anyway, although I know what is happening (finally), I don't know how to correct it.

I am shooting an older model Jennings Gale Force bow with a mechanical release. I have the poundage down to about 60 lbs. It is fairly well tuned.
I know enough to lock my shoulder back so my shoulder blades are trying to touch. My shooting arm is slightly bent at the elbow. I DO sometimes anticipate the shot and move my shooting arm, but it does not seem that this is always what is going on. It seems like when the shot does go wide that there is some tension that makes it spring to the right.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to correct this problem?

Regards
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Probably a torque issue and a bone to bone contact(alignment issue)

Here is a link full of things for you to look for.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...post1056428169
Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Fork Horn

are your feet shoulder width apart? and square to the target? I see guys , including a hunting buddy of mine, who stand with their back foot swung out closer to the target. In my buddy's case it's to avoid string slap on his forearm. He's been doing this for 20 yrs, now and knows how to shoot around it. To someone new it tends to bring your shooting arm closer to the center of your body or in other words your arm fades to the right on release of the arrow. The follow thru is very important to consistency.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Hey.. I think stance is my problem! When I stand more facing the target I definitely have more problems hitting to the right.

I looked at those links too.. good stuff!

Bow season opens this weekend in GA. Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 09-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

I use to have the same problem. Thats when i developed the three R system. Rest, relax, release. once ur bow is drawn back take a deep breath, relax ur muscles so you are not tense, then release. one thing make sure you follow through. if you have a peep sight continue to look through it after you release. pretend the sight is still there and just keep looking at the exact spot. your arm will not move.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

Could be your grip.... you could be torquing your bow with your hand placement at the grip. Alot of archers overlook this or are unaware. I would look into your hand placement at the grip. Maybe even change the grip to a torqueless grip.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by crenshaw
Could be your grip.... you could be torquing your bow with your hand placement at the grip. Alot of archers overlook this or are unaware. I would look into your hand placement at the grip. Maybe even change the grip to a torqueless grip.

Torqueless grip?
Old 09-18-2010, 03:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a page from my website.. Hope it helps.

http://www.archeryaddict.net/properform.html
Old 09-22-2010, 05:35 PM
Spike

Stop looking for your arrow.
Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

It sounds like you are anticipating the shot and trying to grab the bow at the release. The best thing for that is to stand very close to the target, draw, aim, then close your eyes and concentrate on the release. A good release will have your drawing hand move straight back and your bow hand, if anything, fall to the left (right handed shooter). Sometimes I will do this in my basement at night. Once you get the 'feel' of the proper release try it at about 20 yds. Draw, aim, relax your bow arm and let you fingers just hang in front of the bow, apply pressure to the release only when the pin is on target. Do not snap the trigger.
Shot anticipation is the hardest thing to try and correct. I found myself doing this and although I shot well using a trigger type wrist release, I switched to my present thumb release. With this release, if you try and punch it, you WILL miss your intended target. It has forced my to use back tension to set it off. My accuracy has greatly improved. Although if my form is not as it should be, it seems like it takes forever for the release to go off. But when done right it is sweet.