Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Bow selection question. >

Bow selection question.

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow selection question.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Spike

Default Bow selection question.

Hey everyone,

I used to shoot recurve bows for quite sometime, I was right eye dominant and used a right hand bow. I recently had an accident to my right eye and consequently lost the sight in it.

I'm looking into getting a compound bow for hunting with, I have now become left eye dominant. I was at my buddy's place and shot his right handed bow left handed, although my grouping wasn't the greatest, it was better than the shot I made right handed(nearly missed the target.) This was also the first time I've picked up a bow in about 4 years, and also the first time I've used sights and a release to shoot with.

So my question is what are the physical differences between a left handed bow and right handed bow? I know that since my left eye has become dominant I should shoot a left handed bow. but would like to know what the differences are before I go shopping around.

Any help appreciated!-
Mark
Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part the bows are the same, just reversed as far as the handle goes. Most right handed bows can be shot left handed or vise versa although not ideal it's possible. The Hoyt tech bows can not be shot with the opposite hand though.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:49 AM
Spike

Ah I see,

By the handle being reversed do you mean just the grip, or the whole riser/arrow shelf is reversed?

Thanks again!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The riser and shelf are reversed as well. It's sort of like looking at the bow in a mirror. Overall design is the same, just reversed.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Spike

Ok simple enough,

Does having the shelf on the right hand side improve sighting somehow?