Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
accuracy question >

accuracy question

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

accuracy question

Old 08-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Spike

Default accuracy question

at the location where i shoot there is consistantly a breeze moving from left to right. the question that i have is does the wind have an 1 inch effect at 20 yards and a 1-2 inch effect at 30 yards? my groupings are tight, but they always seem to be slightly off center
Old 08-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Spike

If the wind is blowin 20 plus mph it will move your arrow a inch from your aiming point . Just try and shoot with the wind to make sure . ! inch from your aiming spot is not bad though . Blazers wont get cought up in the wind as much as the longer vanes will . When the wind is calm is it still hitting to the left ?
Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MBmadness
If the wind is blowin 20 plus mph it will move your arrow a inch from your aiming point . Just try and shoot with the wind to make sure . ! inch from your aiming spot is not bad though . Blazers wont get cought up in the wind as much as the longer vanes will . When the wind is calm is it still hitting to the left ?
well on the rare day that the wind is calm or to my back i noticed that i am more accurate and the hits are more center. so i guess ill try to shoot again on a day when its calm so i can tell for sure. thanks for the help MBmadness
Old 08-28-2010, 06:24 AM
Spike

Not a problem and glad i can help . I was thinking about this when i was shooting the other day and started purposely messing with the way i was shooting just to see what would happen . And just the way you sqeeze the trigger of your release can affect left to right . Now when i griped my bow tight that seemed to affect flight up and down . Thats one of the reasons i like the pse best grip it sits in your hand or in the pocket just right so you can keep you hand open with no torque . Take a picture or you at full draw . Hope i didnt confuse you , just tryin to help .
Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by MBmadness
Not a problem and glad i can help . I was thinking about this when i was shooting the other day and started purposely messing with the way i was shooting just to see what would happen . And just the way you sqeeze the trigger of your release can affect left to right . Now when i griped my bow tight that seemed to affect flight up and down . Thats one of the reasons i like the pse best grip it sits in your hand or in the pocket just right so you can keep you hand open with no torque . Take a picture or you at full draw . Hope i didnt confuse you , just tryin to help .
haha no im following ya, ive noticed alot that trigger positioning does affect the eventual accuracy of my shots but i have been working for a long time to make sure my stance is as error free as possible as far as what i can control. next time i have the chance (hopefully soon cause i leave for a hunt in 7 days) ill try to have someone snap a photo of me at full draw to get a "behind the scenes look" at my stance. however, 1 inch off at 20 yards and 1-2 inches off at 30 yards isnt all too bad right? i know that ill obviously try to get as close as possible to my target, but anything past 30ish yards is outa the question for me lol
Old 08-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

for one thing form is everything in archery,,,never ,never grab your bow just kind of let it set there,also you should break your trigger with your back muscles,,kind of like trying to pull back further on the bow..and haveing it touch off the trigger..1 1/2 inchs isnt bad but someday you may have to thread the needle on a shot where 1 1/2 inchs might as well be 10 feet. remember if your shooting out of a tree stand bend at your waist,doing so will keep your form and not bllow the shot,,remember the angle,,,i hope this helps ya,,whack em
Old 08-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Fork Horn

ok addict ,,also you could be canting your bow alittle bit too that will mess up your shot left or right,,depending on what way you are tilting your bow..try it you'll see more at 30 yards then 20..good luck
Old 08-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
for one thing form is everything in archery,,,never ,never grab your bow just kind of let it set there,also you should break your trigger with your back muscles,,kind of like trying to pull back further on the bow..and haveing it touch off the trigger..1 1/2 inchs isnt bad but someday you may have to thread the needle on a shot where 1 1/2 inchs might as well be 10 feet. remember if your shooting out of a tree stand bend at your waist,doing so will keep your form and not bllow the shot,,remember the angle,,,i hope this helps ya,,whack em
yeah i notice form is a big part of the equation, i want to make a little more accurate shots because i would hat to miss a shot that i could have made. most of this years hunting will be on foot and at ground level so ill be shooting at fairly level angles. thanks for the advice though vermont bowhunter, i really appreciate it