Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
shooting a bit right >

shooting a bit right

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

shooting a bit right

Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default shooting a bit right

First off, I'm left handed
I just got my 09 Bear GameOver from the shop.
I bought it used. Got a 30" draw module installed, new D Loop, re-set the peep and the shop center shot the bow.
Shooting Easton Carbon Storm 340's 60/75 cut 30" long, 100gr feild points with 2 inch blazers.
Bow is set up approx 65 lbs draw weight 30" draw length. Whisper biscuit and a 3 pin throphy using a truglow release

First shots..(6 arrows).. at 10 yards they are about 1 1/2 inches to the right but all the arrows were right next to one another... vertically they were about 1/2 high... but I was using the 20yard pin so I figured the vertical was correct. I'm pretty sure that this is a form(me) error because this is my first compound bow... so with that all said and stated... should I be worried about moving the sights? rest at this point? or shoot it more until I'm confident its not my form?

Thanks
Alex
Old 08-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would be only guessing without seeing what you're doing, but I believe you may be a bit over spined.. I think with 100 gn up front, you should be shooting 400 spine even with a 30 inch draw.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

why are you useing a 20 yard pin at 10 yards,,,and if your that close to being on target shoot 20 with the 20 yard pin...ill bet it shoots closer..if not change your sites alittle.nothing wrong with moveing them a bit if shes grouping great as that.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know why anybody would consider a 340 spine overspined. IMO I'd say it's pretty close to optimum.

Now the sight problem. OK, so you're shooting 10 yards--most likely to make sure you hit at least close for starters. If you're shooting a little to the right then I'd say move the pin (sight) a little to the right till you are hitting dead center for windage. Then shoot 20 yards to check yourself out. If you're still good at 20 yards then try sighting in another pin for 30 yards, then 40 yards (assuming your ability allows for it).

Don't worry if your pins are to the right of the string/arrow as eyed from the back. This is quite normal.

If your bow is sighted in for 20 yards really well, but off a bit for windage at longer yardages then you probably need to tweak the rest a little for windage. This can be done first by doing a search on walkback tuning.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.
My groups are fine... all arrows within 2 inches at both 10 & 20 yards, but they are all just to the right of where I'm aiming. So I did adjust the sights to the right... a smidj at a time and got it right on at 10 and 20. I havent taken a 30 or longer shot yet.... I'll get there soon enough...Once again... thanks
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bow shop can't set your sight pins for you. You've adjusted, so that's good. Don't be surprised if you need to adjust again after shooting a while and your form improves (hopefully).

Once you are shooting for a while, you can then see how broadheads fly. Final tuning may be needed to get them to hit with your field points. Once they do, you may need to adjust the sights again.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
why are you useing a 20 yard pin at 10 yards,,,and if your that close to being on target shoot 20 with the 20 yard pin...ill bet it shoots closer..if not change your sites alittle.nothing wrong with moveing them a bit if shes grouping great as that.
he has a 3 pin sight (20,30,40 i assume) and he is shooting at 10 so he doesnt miss
Old 08-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You're close and that's good. But my question is, it seems as thought you are new to compounds and I am wondering if you tuned your bow up or just relied on the shop to set it up for you?
My advice is that you download Easton's Bow Tuning Guide and read it.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You're close and that's good. But my question is, it seems as thought you are new to compounds and I am wondering if you tuned your bow up or just relied on the shop to set it up for you?
My advice is that you download Easton's Bow Tuning Guide and read it.
I'll second that suggestion. There isn't anything much better for basic tuning than Easton's Tuning Guide. You may not understand everything but as you progress you'll start learning the lingo.