Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SIght Question

Old 08-10-2010, 06:44 AM
Spike

Default SIght Question

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and new to the sport of bowhunting. I used to shoot archery seriously back in my boyscout days, but nothing in the last 20 odd years.

Anyway, I purchased a good quality Hoyt Raider compound bow last weekend for a really good deal. I know it's not the newest fanciest thing on the market, but it's a solid bow and it's killed some bucks.

It has an old North American Archery sight on it that is made out of plastic, and the screws that hold the pins tight are stripped and won't allow the sight pins to fully tighten.

Needless to say I'm in the market for a new sight, and I'm kind of overwhelmed. I'm looking for a good quality sight that ultimately I can transfer to a newer bow once I get some shooting time under my belt.

I'm wondering if one actually needs micro adjust for windage and elevation on a sight? How useful is this?

I'm currenly looking at the Cobra Python with micro adjust, BP has it for $129.99 currently, and while that's more than I paid for my whole setup, I think a sight of this quality will transfer to any new bow I purchase.

I'm just worried that I'm being drawn in by gimmicks and tech lust for gadgets.

What say you?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Spike

Cabelas has the same sight for $99. Haven't used this brand so I cant give you an opinion on it though.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

My 2 favorite sights for hunting are the Cobra Bomslanger (lighted) and the Truglo w/light. I actually like the Truglo better as the pins seem brighter even without the aid of the light. Both are priced around $60
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Spike

I shoot a truglo and like it. Its bright enough to where you don't need to use the light
Old 08-10-2010, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

I like CopperJohn. They put a lot of engineering into their sights and as a machinist myself, I appreciate that they do their own machining on a CNC. And they're American!

http://copperjohn.com/
Old 08-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by jleiwig
I'm wondering if one actually needs micro adjust for windage and elevation on a sight? How useful is this?
Can anyone answer this actual question?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

What type of hunting will you be doing? Unless you are planning a trip to the high country, the windage and elevation are kind of excessive. Great if you will be shooting uphill or downhill on a moutain, but not neccessary for hunting from a blind or treestand.

Practice shooting from tree stand height with whatever sight you get and you'll be dialed in.

Last edited by wallhangr; 08-11-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: +
Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Short answer, yes a micro adjust is useful on a hunting sight. While you may not use them often, they are far better than the type of pins where you loosen the Allen bolt and attempt to "nudge" the pin a bit. I always ended up pushing the pin too far, then having to go back the other way. The micro adjust allows me to move them very precisely.

After using a sight with a micro adjust, you will not ever want to go back to a less full featured sight.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Typical Buck

check into the vital sights, the TRIslide is my favorite, and the pins are very bright.

Last edited by OhioBowhunter; 08-12-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:56 AM
Spike

My favorite sight is Flashpoint from montana black gold. they give awesome light and are assembled in montana which i thought was really cool so i ordered one from www.bugsnbullets.com