Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

21% foc?

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 21% foc?

I have seen a few references to 220 gr heads and 21% FOC. I'm wondering how this relates arrows recommended by the common "arrow selectors" out there like the one offered by Easton.

My current setup is 70 lb DW single cam, 29" Easton 2315 with 100 gr head. According to Easton, my arrow with 340 spine is not stiff enough even for a 150 gr head. I don't see how to acheive 21% FOC with this arrow within the chart's recommendations. Also, as arrows get stiffer, they generally get heavier. What shaft is stiff enough, yet light enough, to allow use of a 220 gr head and acheive 21% FOC?

Or, do you simply ignore the charts to get FOC this high? Thanks!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:18 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I have seen a few references to 220 gr heads and 21% FOC. I'm wondering how this relates arrows recommended by the common "arrow selectors" out there like the one offered by Easton.

My current setup is 70 lb DW single cam, 29" Easton 2315 with 100 gr head. According to Easton, my arrow with 340 spine is not stiff enough even for a 150 gr head. I don't see how to acheive 21% FOC with this arrow within the chart's recommendations. Also, as arrows get stiffer, they generally get heavier. What shaft is stiff enough, yet light enough, to allow use of a 220 gr head and acheive 21% FOC?

Or, do you simply ignore the charts to get FOC this high? Thanks!
To do this takes experimentation and usually a .3" arrow.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big - If, in your opinion, your response actually provides an answer to my question, I'm way more lost than I thought.

I know I can add head weight to acheive 21% FOC. I also know the arrow charts don't recommend that head weight for my arrow's spine. Soooooo, do you toss the charts out the window and just mess around (experiment) with heavier heads until something works, or, is there a more systematic approach?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way is with a .300 spined carbon arrow.....
Old 07-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can somebody give me the specifics of their setup that gives 21% FOC, assuming an arrow length of 29" or so? The Easton selector I am using only allows point weight up to 150 gr. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
bigcountry

Big - If, in your opinion, your response actually provides an answer to my question, I'm way more lost than I thought.

I know I can add head weight to acheive 21% FOC. I also know the arrow charts don't recommend that head weight for my arrow's spine. Soooooo, do you toss the charts out the window and just mess around (experiment) with heavier heads until something works, or, is there a more systematic approach?
You need a stiffer spine to account for the larger 220gr head wieght

For instance, I shoot a 3-60 ACC out of my hoyt with 100gr head. For me to go up to a 220gr head, I need to use 3-71. And that still only gets me 19%FOC.

I shoot 2216's from a recurve I have with 125gr head but also use 2219's with 220gr phantom for hunting.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You are talking about me I shoot 21 % FOC.

You can't use an arrow chart to figure out what arrow to use. You have to use a computer program, there are many things to factor in.. DL, DW, arrow length. The program will tell you what spine to use.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I understand the variables to consider. I shoot 29" arrows, 70 lb DW from a one-cam bow, with a release. So, only other variables are arrow spine, arrow weight and point weight.

What computer program(s) are out there, are any free downloads?
Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 AM
bigcountry

I think I understand the variables to consider. I shoot 29" arrows, 70 lb DW from a one-cam bow, with a release. So, only other variables are arrow spine, arrow weight and point weight.

What computer program(s) are out there, are any free downloads?
I use ontarget and archeradvantage.

They have free test drives, but ontarget seems to not spit out the accurate answer with the test drive. With that bow, I can tell you, you need a .3" spined arrow to shoot 220's.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big - You are saying spine deflection of .300, versus the .340 that I am now shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.