Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Why should I get a string supressor? >

Why should I get a string supressor?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why should I get a string supressor?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default Why should I get a string supressor?

Thinking about getting one for my Mathews Switchback XT, but don't know if it would help me out or not!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

It should help to quite your bow. I have some bows with them, but on all. My quietest bow doesn't have one.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe your mathews has the suppressors built in up near the cam and idler wheel. I have a suppressor on all my bows, it not only helps quiet the bow and tame string oscilation but it also helps with wrist slap and hitting your sleeve when wearing bulky cloths in late season.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by passthru79
it also helps with wrist slap and hitting your sleeve when wearing bulky cloths in late season.
Really, and how does it do that?

If you're getting wrist slap it's because the bow the draw length is too long, or you just have some really bad form.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by The Rev
Really, and how does it do that?

If you're getting wrist slap it's because the bow the draw length is too long, or you just have some really bad form.

NO it doesn't,with some of these low brace bows and bulky clothes,the sleeve will be in the string path the last couple of inches.The string suppressor stops this last bit of string travel,therefore decreasing chance of it hitting your clothing.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
bigcountry

It does help with string buzz. It doesn't work miracles.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rev.

It helps with alot of things like string buzz. It also stops the string from moving much further than brace height after the shot, thats where you tend to get wrist slap with these 5 or 6 inch brace height bows and also when you wear a big cold weather parka it can be near impossible to keep your sleeve out of the strings path unless you wear an arm guard or something to keep your sleeve tight to your arm.

Last edited by passthru79; 07-18-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Rev.

It helps with alot of things like string buzz. It also stops the string from moving much further than brace height after the shot, thats where you tend to get wrist slap with these 5 or 6 inch brace height bows and also when you wear a big cold weather parka it can be near impossible to keep your sleeve out of the strings path unless you wear an arm guard or something to keep your sleeve tight to your arm.
So what did we do before they came out with those? I've been shooting for 40 years, and I stand behind what I said... if you popping your hand your shooting the wrong draw lenght or you have really crappy form. I've never had a problem without them. If the cable would travel two inches past a surpressor, the you would split the rubber end of the surpressor.
If you have a problem with string buzz then you need to put on good string silencers.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:48 PM
bigcountry

Rev.

What bow you shoot has 5" BH? Even my longbows don't have that.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bigcountry
What bow you shoot has 5" BH? Even my longbows don't have that.
Mark mine do,, when the string twist.. I pulled out a bow I made about six months ago and put on the wrong string and I had about 4 inch brace height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.