Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
tuning for broadheads >

tuning for broadheads

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

tuning for broadheads

Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default tuning for broadheads

my broadheads are hitting about 3" to the right @ 20 yds. what should i be looking at to fix it?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM
bigcountry

Changing your grip is number 1. If you are heeling the grip or squeezing, it can affect this. Number two, you can move the rest away from the bow slightly. Number 3 try lowering your poundage a tad or head wieght.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

This should help you out considerably.....

http://www.willowcreekarchery.com/Ea...ning_guide.pdf
Old 07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Assuming your BHs are the same wt as your FTs and your FTs are grouping well. And your FTs are shooting in a vertical line (walk back), then I would have to think that your rest needs a bit of tweeking. But 3" at 20 yds makes me think you didn't do any walkback tuing and your rest is slightly out of adjustment OR you are getting some fletching contact. I would check for fletching contact first befor anything. What kind of rest?
Old 07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

My recommendation:

Make sure your don't have fletching contact.

Take turns off your draw weight and see if the situation improves. If this improves the situation, then you're weak on spine. Then you can shorten your shaft, shoot a lighter head or use a lower draw weight to increase dynamic spine.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by kansaswiderack
my broadheads are hitting about 3" to the right @ 20 yds. what should i be looking at to fix it?
Doesn't that make you wonder what they are doing at say 60 yds?
There are so many different reasons on what could cause your broad heads to impact 3" to the right of center that anyone who gives an answer is surely just guessing. You need to start at the beginning if you haven't already. Is your bow tuned properly? Are you using an arrow with the correct spine? Is your center shot correct (walk back tuned and or group tuned)? Are you experiencing vane contact? Are you torquing your bow or over gripping it on the shot? Are your broad heads spin tested? I'm sure I've left out quite a bit. My recommendation is to go to your bow shop and talk with them in person. JMHO
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming you have arrows of the correct spine, you are not torquing badly and you don't have fletch contact, my guess is your rest needs a tweak to the left (if you're a righty). Go in increments of 1/16 inch or less. Once you get your BHs in line with FPs, re-sight.

The bow's geometric centershot is only a starting place. The entire shooting system (bow, shooter, arrow, head, etc) determines where the "centershot" needs to be. Much easier to make a small rest adjustment than to start changing head weights, arrow spine, etc. Rests and sights are adjustable for a reason.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

When all else fails, re-sight in your bow for broad heads.