Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Homemade broadhead target? >

Homemade broadhead target?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Homemade broadhead target?

Old 07-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Homemade broadhead target?

Ok, what' s a cheap easy way to shoot broadheads at home without laying out a wad of cash for a factory made target?
Old 07-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-01-2003, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Homemade broadhead target?

I found this idea on this site and it really works. The target is made out of black insulated sheathing (Celotex). This is an old building material and may not be stocked at all building supply stores. Here is the procedure:

1st rip the sheets 12" wide and cut them to the length you want the height of the target to be. 24" , 32" , 48" etc.

The width of the target is determined by the number of 12" wide sheets you ripped. Each ripping will make the target 1/2" wide. For example, 64 rippings will yield a target approximately 32" wide.

Make 2 sides out of 2X12 about 12" longer than the rippings.

Connect the 2x12s with all-thread and sandwich the rippings in between the 2x12s.

I grooved out a 2x6 or whatever and set it on top of the bottom all-thread and on the bottom of the top all-thread to support the rippings better.

This is a great target to use. When you first start shooting it, loosen the nuts on the all-thread as needed, then as the target becomes worn, tighten them as necessary.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

This works well for me. I use a box full of those little nickle newspaper. You can use two of those old phone book. Retreiving the arrow is easiest if you use the broadhead type like muzzy, where the blades don' t fall off when you unscrew it from the arrow shaft.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:34 PM
nub

Last tapered roof system I installed I ordered an extra piece of EPS foam. Its 4' X4' and about 16" thick. That was about a year ago and I can still find lots of area to shoot at. Think it cost me about 20 bucks. I left it whole but I imagine you could cut it into 2X2 cubes and get 4. Would store easier that way. I just leave mine out as is. You could find this at most distributors of comercial roof products such as ABC Supply. They should be a nation wide chain. Or perhaps a large comercial roofing contractor might have a chunk takeing up space in their warehouse. I can shoot the sweet spot out of " The Block" in a week with broadheads, EPS is cheaper. If you really want I could go out in the back yard and take a pic. [:-]

OR

Try a pile of clean dirt or screened sand.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:45 PM
CG

I' ve been on the eternal quest for a BH target and though it is not homemade, the Morrell Humungo at $25 - $30 is hard to beat...it' s lasted longer than my $60 BLock did......
Old 07-02-2003, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys...

I wasn' t aware that the fiber board target was good with broadheads. I' d priced making one before, and figured I' d just as well buy one

Nub, I' d love to go with a pile of sand, but no where to put it. I' ll keep my eyes out for a big roofing supply place, but I live in the sticks, don' t know where to begin looking...

CG, On the Humungo, does it stop broadheads up to 300 fps? Do the heads stop in the target or pass through? Is arrow removal a pain? At $30, the price is cheap enough if it works well
Old 07-02-2003, 07:49 AM

I just go up on the balcony of my barn and shoot them into the ground. I either pick out a leaf or darker patch of grass. The price is hard to beat and the trajectory resembles shooting from the stand.
Old 07-02-2003, 07:59 AM

Take a 3 x 3 box to a guy that does spray in insulation. Usually just call him and find out where they are working that day and stop by. They may not even charge you for filling the box if you leave it with them. They usually shoot out the guns at the end of the day and need to dispose of the insulation.

I get mine from a local refrigeration plant. They have big garbage looking bags that they fill up. I wish the shipping on them was less I would send them out to whoever wanted one. If you are in the MPLS/StPaul MN or western WI area let me know and I' ll let you know where to pick one up!
Old 07-02-2003, 08:07 AM
nub

What state you in?

Quick Reply: Homemade broadhead target?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.