Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

back tension

Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default back tension

I am working on trying to achieve release via back tension and I am getting soreness in my right shoulder but not my left-I am right handed. Am I doing this correctly or should I feel muscle soreness in both shoulders? The soreness I am feeling is in the area of my shoulder blade.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

if its getting sore, slow down, take at least a 3 day break , or until the soreness is totally gone and then maybe fire just a few tubes down and wait and see if ya get sore from that.
going from not shooting to shooting a bunch can jak ur shoulder up fer life..so dont try and be robin hood on the 1st day..like any other sport, gotta work up to it.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try lowering your draw weight. To do this, back out your upper and lower limb bolts the equal amount. If you have access to a bow scale check to see what your draw weight is(where the wheels start to come over center) now keep pulling to full draw. This will show your holding weight. Record these readings incase you want to come back to this set up. On my bow, one turn top and bottom equals approximately 4 lb. Doing this change will also change your draw length. Depending on your bow settup, it may have to be resited in. When your shoulder starts feeling better, gradually increase the draw weight. This may take awhile. Hope this helps.