Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
I wouldn't have beilieve it >

I wouldn't have beilieve it

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I wouldn't have beilieve it

Old 05-09-2010, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default I wouldn't have beilieve it

OK guys - As you all know I was having trouble getting my Martin Bengal both tuned and reaching its peak draw weight. I finally got disgusted enough to take it back and started fonlding a Firecat on the bow rack that I was looking at earlier when I bought the Bengal. I had brought 3 of my arrows along (weight 370 gr). We maxed it out and checked the weight. - right at 70 lb. Draw length set at 28". I took it over to the range and shot 3 arrows and grouped them nicely. I mentioned that this bow seemed a lot faster than the Bengal. He smiled and cranked up the chronograph. I shot the 3 arrows across the screens and got 335, 336 and 335. I wouldn't have beilieve it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.
The difference between this bow and the Bengal is the Bengal was a single cam. This Firecat has the bianary cams. But even with that speed, the bow had no "kick". I know I will need to do a bit of tweeking but I have to wait another week till the Dr gives me the OK because of some shoulder trouble.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmmm... That seems way too fast. Its ibo is 335-345. Lets be generous and say it will do 345. subtract 20fps immediately b/c your DL is 2" shorter than IBO, and then subtract about 10fps for the extra 30gr of arrow weight above ibo and were lookin at 315 with no peep or d loop... '

Using backcountrybowhunting's speed calculator using the 345 speed it gave me 319 at best... Calculating it with a peep and loop at 335ibo it gave me 303fps with your setup...

Id have to believe that their chronograph is off on this one. Ive had a Warthog, and I tuned an AlienX. Both were nice bows, but their specs were way off. The warthog only did 312 at 30"DL, 60#'s with a 320gr arrow. That was with about an hour of cam tuning and adjusting. It started out at 301 fps, so obviously I was making it better by tuning it. This bow is rated at 350 and would only do roughly 318 at ibo with serious tuning. The Alien x was much the same. with a 370gr arrow at 70#'s 27.5" DL it would only do 280. Quite low as well.

Just my experiences with the Martins.

Glad you liked the Firecat tho. they are nice.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by drockw
Hmmm... That seems way too fast. Its ibo is 335-345. Lets be generous and say it will do 345. subtract 20fps immediately b/c your DL is 2" shorter than IBO, and then subtract about 10fps for the extra 30gr of arrow weight above ibo and were lookin at 315 with no peep or d loop... '

Using backcountrybowhunting's speed calculator using the 345 speed it gave me 319 at best... Calculating it with a peep and loop at 335ibo it gave me 303fps with your setup...

Id have to believe that their chronograph is off on this one. Ive had a Warthog, and I tuned an AlienX. Both were nice bows, but their specs were way off. The warthog only did 312 at 30"DL, 60#'s with a 320gr arrow. That was with about an hour of cam tuning and adjusting. It started out at 301 fps, so obviously I was making it better by tuning it. This bow is rated at 350 and would only do roughly 318 at ibo with serious tuning. The Alien x was much the same. with a 370gr arrow at 70#'s 27.5" DL it would only do 280. Quite low as well.

Just my experiences with the Martins.

Glad you liked the Firecat tho. they are nice.
My thoughts, too. Another thought I have flying around in my head is the OP waiting for OK from the doctor because of shoulder problems while stating that the bow is at 70#. Sounds to me like there may be more shoulder problems in the future. Not smart.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys, I think I tend to agree with you. I've only once seen a bow shoot faster. This was 360fps. But this was at another shop and was the owner's bow. And he was shooting and arrow WAY too light for the set up. But he shot one pin out to 40 yds. Shooting an arrow with a lighted nock it was like a laser.
As for the shoulder, its not muscle but a nerve issue. And 70# is really no problem for me. I've been shooting bows for a long long time and my back muscles are conditioned. In my prime, I have shot a bows with DW of 110#. Just because the shop owner said I couldn't do it. Five shots only and that was enough. Anyway, I just don't want to go crazy until everything gets fixed. I have a Cheetah set at 51# that is a dream to shoot. Quick, quiet and accurate.
I appreciate the comments and I am also suspect of the speed.
I would have to say that the chrono needs calibration. But I would say that it is definately over 300 fps.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well guys, I think I tend to agree with you. I've only once seen a bow shoot faster. This was 360fps. But this was at another shop and was the owner's bow. And he was shooting and arrow WAY too light for the set up. But he shot one pin out to 40 yds. Shooting an arrow with a lighted nock it was like a laser.
As for the shoulder, its not muscle but a nerve issue. And 70# is really no problem for me. I've been shooting bows for a long long time and my back muscles are conditioned. In my prime, I have shot a bows with DW of 110#. Just because the shop owner said I couldn't do it. Five shots only and that was enough. Anyway, I just don't want to go crazy until everything gets fixed. I have a Cheetah set at 51# that is a dream to shoot. Quick, quiet and accurate.
I appreciate the comments and I am also suspect of the speed.
I would have to say that the chrono needs calibration. But I would say that it is definately over 300 fps.
Id say that would be attainable for sure. Hope your bow gets fixed right and everything is good to go