Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Lighted Nock Questions >

Lighted Nock Questions

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Lighted Nock Questions

Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lighted Nock Questions

Guys,

I have 2 questions around lighted nocks.

1. I shoot Carbon Express Maxima's. What's the best brand to shoot with this arrow?

2. Do you guys have a color preference? Is one easier to see in low light or daytime light?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would you want to add weight to the back of your arrow?
Old 04-19-2010, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good question that makes me ask another. Is it that much weight that it will be noticeable to me?

To answer your question, I put a shot on a huge buck last year (145" 10 point) that I thought I was certain on the hit. Watched him run off toward the field/road area and climbed down not long after to look for sign. Never found the arrow, found 1 spot of blood at the site and hair on a few logs he stumbled over as he ran off. Searched for 3 days and never found him.
What does all this matter? In my mind, had I been able to see that arrow afterward, I'd know better what happened.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's the way a lot of people look at it too, and I'm sure that a certain percentage of times a lumnock would help. I prefer to keep my FOC higher to get a better arrow flight, I'd rather lose an arrow now and then to insure good flight insure a better placement.
I don't want to discourage you from buying them, it's your money, I've just learned too many lessons the hard way.
BTW my FOC is 21%.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Spike

I shoot easton tracer nocks, if you have enough foc you should not have a problem I shoot the lighted against my regular nock and their is no difference. as far as color I like the orange and it does help a lot shooting at a deer when it is dusk.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

just takin bout 8 grains in the whole arrow and maybe 5 fps at most?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
That's the way a lot of people look at it too, and I'm sure that a certain percentage of times a lumnock would help. I prefer to keep my FOC higher to get a better arrow flight, I'd rather lose an arrow now and then to insure good flight insure a better placement.
I don't want to discourage you from buying them, it's your money, I've just learned too many lessons the hard way.
BTW my FOC is 21%.

With all respect to the Most Reverend...

No... it doesn't make an APPRECIABLE difference at all... this assuming you are keeping your shots in, around and under 30 yards. You go to terribly far beyond that... and you can scrap this whole post and revert back to what Rev said. I'm not arguing or disagreeing at all here... my point is simply that depending on your use, intent, and individual situation and preference.. you can find your answer one of two ways.

Now, your speed will change. Your bow WILL be quieter (maybe not noticeably so... but a heavier arrow does this). It can also change your tune quite a bit, so you are going to have to retune your bow and resight accordingly.

Frankly, now is the time to do it if you want to... got plenty of time. They are pretty dang cool to be honest. I had my Easton Rep give me a few tracers when they first hit the market three years ago... most of them (amazingly) still work... and I enjoy shooting them off my back-up bow in the yard at night (and I shoot them at 80 yards.. just to watch them fly!).

If you went to Maxima Hunters over Maximas... and shot tracer nocks (you'll need standard S nocks)... assuming your arrows are longer than 27 inches.. your FOC will stay roughly the same due to the extra 25 or so grains in the front of the Maxima Hunters. But I'll be the first to tell you... that at your average whitetail deer shot distance (18 yards) FOC doesn't make a rip of difference.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if you want to limit yourself to 30 yards, cool! I have no problem tagging a buck out to 50 yards and more. I hit a buck last year 45 yards away and knocked his feet out from under him, he fell like a rock. but then again, I'm shooting heavy FOC and it's nothing for me to shoot 600 plus grains... I'd rather have my broad head pull my arrow than my arrow push my broad head. I'm not a newbie, I've been doing this over 40 years. I just don't like gimmicks, see too many guys waste money on stuff that does not make them a better archers.
Just my two cents worth.
So many guys watch hunting shows using stuff that most people don't need, but if the vendors are paying to be sponsors, they will use it.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default lighted nocks

I just bought lighted nocks called 'nockturnal'. Neatest thing since sliced bread if you ask me. They are lighter than most other lighted nocks (20gr.) and very bright. Bought them so I can see the arrow flight better from my bow mounted video camera.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Well if you want to limit yourself to 30 yards, cool! I have no problem tagging a buck out to 50 yards and more. I hit a buck last year 45 yards away and knocked his feet out from under him, he fell like a rock. but then again, I'm shooting heavy FOC and it's nothing for me to shoot 600 plus grains... I'd rather have my broad head pull my arrow than my arrow push my broad head. I'm not a newbie, I've been doing this over 40 years. I just don't like gimmicks, see too many guys waste money on stuff that does not make them a better archers.
Just my two cents worth.
So many guys watch hunting shows using stuff that most people don't need, but if the vendors are paying to be sponsors, they will use it.

Keep in mind, you are in the 95th (maybe higher) percentile of archers/bowhunters Rev. Most of the rest of us have no business flinging sticks at 50 yard whitetails. Bob Foulkrod (who is certainly in the 95th or better percentile also) made that point a few years ago with his quiver of misfit arrows... it doesn't take but so much to get the job done well inside 30 yards.... and distance is the difference between an archer and a bowhunter after all.

Like I wrote before.... its all about your specific situation. There isn't a single place I bowhunt that offers me more than a 30 yard shot... and even then... that would be if the deer was standing in exactly the right spot.

When it comes to seeing/finding your arrow... you ought to know by now its critical to success in game recovery. Not every shot is perfect... it happens. But if you know what you've got (becaues you saw your arrow impact back or high) and if you can find your arrow (start of your blood trail and a big clue as to the quality of your arrow placement) then you have a lot of valuable information regarding how much time and care you need to take on your follow up. Of course, I'm preaching to a preacher here, forgive me; but thats where I'm going with this. Personally... white blazers and white nocks with a 1/2" wrap of reflective tape between the two are all my 20/15 blue eyes need to track and find my arrow after the shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.