Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
To The Rev and others >

To The Rev and others

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

To The Rev and others

Old 04-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default To The Rev and others

I have a release question and something the rev said in a post got me thinking. (that's scary in itself).
I've been shooting a wrist strap caliper release for years and with very good accuracy out to 50 yds which is far beyond what I would normally shoot in my whitetail woods.
However, I tried a demo Tru Ball Pro Diamond Extreme release at Cabelas this past weekend and was impressed with it. With the wrist strap release I have to make a conscious effort to squeeze the trigger and not snap it. With this 4 finger thumb release it almost seems that when you're 'on target' and begin applying pressure the release almost feels as a surprise - which IMO, is how it should be. Another plus to this release is that when I am in my stand, I can hang it on my string loop.
Anyone have any opinions on this release - good or bad?
Old 04-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can easily shoot a wrist strap style release with back tension.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like Bigbulls said...Never pull or jerk the trigger. shoot all releases the same way as a back tension, meaning while you have your finger on the trigger simply keep pulling back until your device releases surprising you.
I use a push pull method, basically as I color the target with my pin, I push the riser forward and pull on the release. If I concentrate on those three things target panic never comes into play.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

To someone that is not familiar with other thumb releases the pro diamond may seem nice, but IMO it's not. The trigger pull is FAR too long and the head is too long IMO as well... It's an inexpensive release yes, and it's comfortable, but the design of the long trigger pull without a crisp trigger makes for a bandaid over a wrist strap IMO. Many other good releases out there...

Find one that is comfortable and adjustable, with virtually no trigger travel. Make the trigger heavy and pull away as the rev said.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

drock - this is the pro diamond extreme (with the 7/16" shorter head). This positions the string loop only about 1/2" or so in front of your fingers. I'm gonna try it and see how it is. I can always return it if it doesn't suit me.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
drock - this is the pro diamond extreme (with the 7/16" shorter head). This positions the string loop only about 1/2" or so in front of your fingers. I'm gonna try it and see how it is. I can always return it if it doesn't suit me.
Oh ok! I didnt realize it was different than the one I've shot...

Good luck with it.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I got the new release in the mail the other day and had some time to play with it now that I got it all adjusted for my hand. I only had a chance to try it a 20 yds. but even at this close distance my groups almost instantly shrank to about 1/2. Now this might seem like a lot but in reality it isn't. My normal group at this range with 4 or 5 arrows is about 1 1/2" - 2". Now the arrows are clustered very close together. Looks like I'm going to have to start shooting only one or two arrows at different bulls so I don't start crushing them. I was content before with the wrist strap release but this is just a tad more consistant.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

ive shot this release at my local store and i really like it but my problem is id lose it if i hunted with it lol
Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well I got the new release in the mail the other day and had some time to play with it now that I got it all adjusted for my hand. I only had a chance to try it a 20 yds. but even at this close distance my groups almost instantly shrank to about 1/2. Now this might seem like a lot but in reality it isn't. My normal group at this range with 4 or 5 arrows is about 1 1/2" - 2". Now the arrows are clustered very close together. Looks like I'm going to have to start shooting only one or two arrows at different bulls so I don't start crushing them. I was content before with the wrist strap release but this is just a tad more consistant.
Good deal man.

A challenge for you:

get a nfaa 5spot target and shoot a full round. 12 rounds of 5 arrows, one arrow per spot. In the white is a 5. In the blue is a 4. Shoot all 60 arrows and total your score up out of 300 and count the x's as well out of 60.

It's a really good way to judge your consistency and progress. If u can shoot consistant 1.5-2" groups you should be able to shoot a 300(the outer white is 3" in diameter). It's fun
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

i use both, just depends on the situation, sometimes i like the wrist strap cause it helps hold the bow in my hands, on the other hand sometimes its nice to set the bow in my lap w/o it hooked up and still relatively ready fer somethin walkin out, as i dont have to connect to the loop, but just grab the release. my cobra wrist strap i had fer years seems to instantly release when i touch the trigger, but the thumb release does seem lighter .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.