Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is this normal?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Is this normal?

I have been shooting compound bows my entire life and I continue to run into the same thing. Each spring, I break my bow out of hibernation and upon my first few shots, I realize I'm not putting the arrows where the pins show they should be. I don't just start making adjustments because the bow was "on" when I put it away for the winter. I usually fight through the first few days of shooting, trying to make adjustments to my form and then I finally just break down and move the pins and everything is fine. I now have had to do this like 10 years in a row with 3 different bows. Is this normal?
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't think so. Could be due to string stretch I guess but most likely it would be a form issue. Change in anchor point, grip, stance, etc.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Fork Horn

Why hybernate? Find a good indoor range that you can shoot once or twice a month! The bow doesn't fit you, you are fitting the bow!! Not sure, but most are shooting to long a draw! Why not start a blank bale shoot! Close your eyes while standing 5 yds from the target, draw and shoot. After about 20 or so shots, draw and without moving anything open your eyes. If the peep is not where its supposed to be, one or two problems. Draw length or the peep needs to move. Check your dl by standing with your hand closed in a fist, arms distance away from a wall. Standing straight and looking forward, lean the fist into the wall, turn your head to that wall. Now have someone measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth! That would be your dl, don't be surprised if its not 1-3" shorter!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

The inactivity will affect your form and the bow (string stretch etc). I would say it is normal.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:49 AM
Spike

I don't think it's draw length because I had the latest bow fit to my draw length. I should have been more specific in my original post. I am shooting consistantly low at all the yardages by about 2". I am just wondering if that's normal string stretch. It's happened to the last 3 bows I have owned and once I adjust the pins, I am dead on for the rest of the summer. I wouldn't think my form would change every year. The latest bow is a Hoyt AlphaMax and I just thought I would get more life out of the string. I do shoot it a lot, so maybe it's time for a new string. Spring bear season is coming up, so maybe I need to take it to the bow shop and have it tuned and have the string looked at.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default It's probably like picking up a basketball

after many months and trying to instantly make foul shots.

I often found out that practice brings me around, whether it was basketball, pitching, golf or archery.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vaughn
I don't think it's draw length because I had the latest bow fit to my draw length. I should have been more specific in my original post. I am shooting consistantly low at all the yardages by about 2". I am just wondering if that's normal string stretch. It's happened to the last 3 bows I have owned and once I adjust the pins, I am dead on for the rest of the summer. I wouldn't think my form would change every year. The latest bow is a Hoyt AlphaMax and I just thought I would get more life out of the string. I do shoot it a lot, so maybe it's time for a new string. Spring bear season is coming up, so maybe I need to take it to the bow shop and have it tuned and have the string looked at.
Most factory strings will stretch a bit. Maybe change them out for a sting from a custom maker? Brownells Xcel and AstroFlight have very little stretch if any if made properly.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Typical Buck

No, You should get that checked out

Old 03-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

The limbs got cold and changed the flight pattern of your arrows
Is my best guess.