Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Wrist Release vs Hand Held Release >

Wrist Release vs Hand Held Release

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wrist Release vs Hand Held Release

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wrist Release vs Hand Held Release

I currently use a wrist release and was contemplating changing to a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond Extreme release. My draw length is 31" with the wrist release. Will the new release require me to change the draw length based on the different anchor point required of the T.R.U. Ball release?
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

Short answer: no, your draw length is your draw length, it should not change regardless of which release you use.

Now your anchor point will change....significantly going to a hand held. It will feel like your draw has been shortened quite a bit.

Just my $0.02 on the release, I am not a fan at all of the Pro Diamond release. I think you would be better served going to a release that you c0ck before clipping on the string (such as a Tru Ball Trail Boss or Carter Insatiable). The releases with a sear provide a much better trigger feel with little or no takeup or creep.

I have been hunting with a handheld for 6 years now, and would never think of going back to a wrist release.

Last edited by 98Redline; 03-17-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Spike

No it wil not !!!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. I had already ordered the T.R.U. Ball release but have not received it yet.
Thanks, again.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Trex
Thanks for the input. I had already ordered the T.R.U. Ball release but have not received it yet.
Thanks, again.
I can tell you one thing for sure it will improve your form. Just make sure your thumb points to the ground, another reason I hate wrist releases, 98 % of those that shoot wrist release point the thumb to the ear (bad form). But that's a argument I will not take on since I know I'm right!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

hush up old guy! I shoot wrist release and don't do that!The thumb release is great but the wrist release is more comfortable for hunting for me.Too many pros and cons on both for me...carry one for backup and other as old fathful
Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by RLoving1
hush up old guy! I shoot wrist release and don't do that!The thumb release is great but the wrist release is more comfortable for hunting for me.Too many pros and cons on both for me...carry one for backup and other as old fathful
I knew somehow you were going to put your West Texas Two Cents of Experience in.. You shoot wrong form, and I'm not going to argue with you, I knew you were coming on here to agree with all the other loser wrist release shooters that don't know squat about archery!!! Now get back to turning valves and hopefully you won't set of a chain of explosions in West Texas at the British Petroleum plant!

Besides, I gave you a million dollar thumb release and you use it to pick you teeth!!! ( see my picture, perfect form)

Last edited by The Rev; 03-19-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

here we go old sour grapes barking agin...still upset over not getting one last year huh?My imperfect form harvested last year...and Mr. Conservation there...well I put meat in his freezer! HAH How you like them apples old guy? I haven't blown nuthin up...lately.Go build a theater and have some popcorn before I hide your walker agin! Your just missing me aren't you? LOL
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Rev, What's the million dollar Thumb Release? I'm in the market for a new release. BTW, I'm changing from my Truball Pro Diamond Extreme which I've had for 5 years.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
I can tell you one thing for sure it will improve your form. Just make sure your thumb points to the ground, another reason I hate wrist releases, 98 % of those that shoot wrist release point the thumb to the ear (bad form). But that's a argument I will not take on since I know I'm right!
I'll bite... I bet I know a guy that could out shoot anyone on this forum that is shooting a caliper release... Whatcha think about that rev

I've seen him shoot 4 60's in a row(obviously not in the same day)... He's a command puncher as well. Handheld are temporary band-aids for bad form an tp IMO. Learn how to shoot with whatcha got first and get it all together upstairs